When to self isolate, when to test and when to test everyone

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Is there any guidance about when one should test and when one should test everyone. In other words how many degrees of separation is needed not to be required to be tested. Considering that Person A's spouse was in contact with someone a week ago that now has been tested positive and now needs to be screened. Will person A also have to be tested or can they wait at home until they receive their spouses result. Person A in the past 7 days had contact with person B who in turn had contact with person C. Does Person C now need to stay at home\get tested?

Sofar nobody in this chain is showing any symptoms.

R13...

Honorary Master
Normally, person A tests and B only needs test if A test positive. But yes B must isolate. B is a second contact and the NICD won't test a second contact but nothing stops you testing privately.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
My doctor said isolate esp during day 4-8 and they only test on symptoms.

Had 2 "long weeknds" already thanx to contact tracing. Still no symptoms so normally go back to work on day 9 or 10.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
My wife was in contact with someone who tested positive. Doctor told my wife to wait a week and then get tested. She was tested on Saturday and we are still waiting for results. Doctor said I must only get tested if she tested positive.

Carol35

Expert Member
My eldest daughter was in contact with someone who tested positive and was rather ill in hospital....she has comorbidities but was told by her doctor to self isolate for 2 weeks and would not be tested unless she presented with symtoms ..thankfully she was fine.

My housemate had seriously...hay fever/ normal flu and was sent home from work.. he has self isolated for 2 weeks, was forced to be tested for Covid last Monday so he could return to work but still waiting on results ( tested via Diskem drive through) He has told his work people he is perfectly healthy, not one person in my house has shown one symptom but his work refuses him to return until he gets his results....So he waits while the labs work through their back logs. I shudder to think of people who are positive and waiting so long for results.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
My housemate had seriously...hay fever/ normal flu and was sent home from work.. he has self isolated for 2 weeks, was forced to be tested for Covid last Monday so he could return to work but still waiting on results ( tested via Diskem drive through) He has told his work people he is perfectly healthy, not one person in my house has shown one symptom but his work refuses him to return until he gets his results....So he waits while the labs work through their back logs. I shudder to think of people who are positive and waiting so long for results.
I can understand this somehow, esp with Governments rules and view on it. The cost and downtime to sanitize entire factories when 1 person was tested positive is not something most can afford right now.

As for waiting for results before allowed back I hope he is getting full pay during the wait as he could be waiting for 10 days plus easy if he has no symptoms. Priority gets given to people that have symptoms or 1st contacts and even on those there is a backlog.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Whut? Given that the bulk of infections are asymptomatic, when does this particular arbitrary clock start?
Well I was 2nd contact on both cases and doctor told me exactly that, "day 4-8 after contact must stay away from anyone and watch for symptoms".

But also seeing that I started level 5 lockdown with a fever, cough and lack of smell.... I suspect I already had it. Would love to know for sure as I been working since level 5 all over SA, even did loads of installations in pharmacies and retail stores. Obvs a week after my "Flu" was over ;)

Last edited:

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Illness and sneezing from the beginning of June. Not flu like symptoms, maybe a sore throat. Back on my feet after a couple days. My brother passed it on to me at the time, and he was also back at work. All this time temperature screening was fine.

My brother had a cough and during the week 20-24 June I had sore throat. Temperature screening at work on the 24th for him, he went to the doctor who referred for the test, Results came positive on the 26th. My test on the 26th came back negative.

So here we are both together at home quarantined for :
12 days since he went for a test, 10 for me.
10 days since he tested positive.
12+ days since the onset of symptons (cough, possibly temperature and who knows if it was in since the beginning of June)
NCID guidelines for people who tested positive :

You can end your home isolation 14 days after your illness began. Your illness began on the day that you first developed symptoms, not on the day that a specimen was collected or on the day that the laboratory test was reported to be positive. If you were tested with no symptoms (note – this is not currently recommended) and had a positive test result, you can end your home isolation 14 days after the positive specimen was collected.

After a 14-day home isolation period, you are considered to no longer be infectious, i.e. you are very unlikely to transmit infection to others. No follow-up laboratory tests will be done during or at the end of your home isolation period.
During a small window of this period my sense of taste went away on the (front/sides of my tongue only), other than than only a mild cough which is standard (comes a couple of weeks later) for the cold I had a month back. Now I have no idea if I need to get retested, if I test positive what the clock will be counting down from. Would I be considered infectious?

Laboratory tests that only look for coronavirus genetic material in specimens cannot tell us whether you can still transmit infection to others because a positive test may only pick up pieces of dead virus.
Do I go for a CV19 test or the antigen test or both? Since either I recovered, still have it, or never had it.

Carol35

Expert Member
I can understand this somehow, esp with Governments rules and view on it. The cost and downtime to sanitize entire factories when 1 person was tested positive is not something most can afford right now.

As for waiting for results before allowed back I hope he is getting full pay during the wait as he could be waiting for 10 days plus easy if he has no symptoms. Priority gets given to people that have symptoms or 1st contacts and even on those there is a backlog.
yep- truth be told they have been super good about it- full pay and they paid the R850 for the test. Their JHB branch is currently going through hell with positive cases so I guess that's why the CT branch is taking absolutely no chances.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Well I was 2nd contact on both cases and doctor told me exactly that, "day 4-8 after contact must stay away from anyone and watch for symptoms".

But also seeing that I started level 5 lockdown with a fever, cough and lack of smell.... I suspect I already had it. Would love to know for sure as I been working since level 5 all over SA, even did loads of installations in pharmacies and retail stores. Obvs a week after my "Flu" was over ;)
My wife keeps telling me the same. We both had some body aches and a lack of taste/smell not too long ago, but it only lasted for 2 days. At the time we both attributed it to the fact that we started smoking all these "never before heard of" cigarettes.

rustypup

Expert Member
How many days after were you made aware you were 2nd contact?

What determined the need to confirm testing/confirmation?

We're infectious long before we display symptoms. Reacting to symptoms is pretty much slamming them barn doors closed long after the geese have fled the pond.

My point being, "4 - 8 days after" is completely arbitrary and thoroughly meaningless because you have no idea when that little clock started ticking?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
How many days after were you made aware you were 2nd contact?

What determined the need to confirm testing/confirmation?

We're infectious long before we display symptoms. Reacting to symptoms is pretty much slamming them barn doors closed long after the geese have fled the pond.

My point being, "4 - 8 days after" is completely arbitrary and thoroughly meaningless because you have no idea when that little clock started ticking?
Pretty much why the current testing philosophy is pointless. It makes far more sense to not test anyone. To treat people symptomatically, and only if they are hospitalised to test for covid as confirmation. If you get symptoms and don't need hospitalisation, what good is a test going to do anyway?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Is there any guidance about when one should test and when one should test everyone. In other words how many degrees of separation is needed not to be required to be tested. Considering that Person A's spouse was in contact with someone a week ago that now has been tested positive and now needs to be screened. Will person A also have to be tested or can they wait at home until they receive their spouses result. Person A in the past 7 days had contact with person B who in turn had contact with person C. Does Person C now need to stay at home\get tested?

Sofar nobody in this chain is showing any symptoms.
Logically the answer here (and in every case IMO) is to not test anyone.

krycor

Honorary Master
Problem is private sector tests are not cheap.

So spouse's work had people sick, one of which had a spouse that was infected. we got sick.. not sure if we should be tested either but since we've been isolating since lock down won't make a difference.. only contact outside is her going to work infrequently and pick up groceries(order and pick up.. not when sick tho).

uhm.. life is getting weird when u at home 24/7/365. im not a complete introvert but yowza it's boring. its july already wtf

Carol35

Expert Member
My housemate still waiting for his results so he can go back to work...tested 2 weeks ago and waiting. His work won’t let him return until he gets the results and he has emailed, called and WhatsAppEd ...only got a response on WhatsApp to say his test not processed yet. Diskem drive though testing station but we saw today they have stopped taking tests via News24 due to back logs. Ridiculous. Been in ”self isolation” now for 4 weeks lol.