When will they start focusing on replacing last mile ADSL with Fibre without looking for interest first?

DSL will have to be discontinued some day.. There will be a day where coverage has to be implemented without seeking for interest first. Because that's the problem of why so many want,but cannot get it's that damned sign up to show interest thing. Our area has hundreds of people signed up for openserve 2 years ago, but still no fibre or even a glimpse of it. Everytime a new fibre provider arises they give coverage to the same select few areas as all the other providers. What do you get if you live in JHB? a million providers... What do you get if you live on the 2-4mbps max last mile ADSL areas? not even 1 fibre provider. Seriously, if a provider starts out and solely giving fibre to last mile'ers stuck on their DSL splinternet they would make more damn money than all those idiots who only give coverage in the hot spots.

WAslayer

Expert Member
I would imagine that they are, in part, waiting for a return on their investment for the newly rolled out fiber and this is also why they are working on a interest-first model..

I would imagine that they are, in part, waiting for a return on their investment for the newly rolled out fiber and this is also why they are working on a interest-first model..
Yeah, at this rate in 2042 it's going to state: Register your interest for fibre

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Because all things considered it costs me around around R10k per home that I pass. I need a ****ton of investment to install that last mile in a suburb and then I must hope and pray to get a return?

Our investors have deep pockets but they are not infinite.

werny

Expert Member
Dont get too hopeful - in our area fibre is worse than ADSL at the moment.
Have to (sort of) agree with you on that one, know of plenty people having issues with their Vumatel lines (not ISP related), also the difficulty of moving between ISP's is just a bunch of nonsense, gone are the days of simply signing up with a ISP and adding the new PPPoE details on the ADSL/VDSL router. This "holding pool" and "connection fee" is just a money making scheme.

With Vumatel only being in our area for a few months I'm actually shocked at all the complaints, barely had that with Telkom ADSL/VDSL. :unsure:

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
I am not sure if this is a main reason, but some friends in the industry have mentioned in the past that fiber installations are in big demand and there isn't enough installers to install new fiber quick enough. So I suspect that perhaps once all the new orders have been completed existing lines with be replaced with fiber.

Marcell1992

Looking at the fibre coverage map and the time it took to get there, I'd say 2060 is about the time fibre will be available to everyone, unless they pick up the pace.

I also highly doubt that rolling out fibre to low interest areas will be more profitable, hence why they don't roll out fibre to those areas >.>

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Looking at the fibre coverage map and the time it took to get there, I'd say 2060 is about the time fibre will be available to everyone, unless they pick up the pace.

I also highly doubt that rolling out fibre to low interest areas will be more profitable, hence why they don't roll out fibre to those areas >.>
You sound rather optimistic ;)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Because all things considered it costs me around around R10k per home that I pass. I need a ****ton of investment to install that last mile in a suburb and then I must hope and pray to get a return?

Our investors have deep pockets but they are not infinite.
But isn't aerial fibre a factor of magnitude cheaper?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It's never gonna happen, the copper will rust away in the ground first before they remove all of it.
They don't actually need to remove it (but removing it could result in some small financial return).
They can install fibre seperately to it without needing to remove it.
And they will only do that if there is a profit guaranteed.