When you post a job application, this is the worst mistake you can make

envo

Expert Member
MyBroadband said:
You really must want to work hard. If you are looking for a "work-life balance" or just an 8-to-5 position, please don't apply. There is huge opportunity for growth here, but you will have to earn it.
No MyBroadband. Work-life balance is ESSENTIAL to a happy hard-working employee. Good luck in finding a sucker who is good enough according to your standards AND is willing to be emotionally unhappy and unfulfilled as a human being because of your demand. Maybe up the pay to R100 000 / month to make it worthwhile for someone to give up their life for you. You don't want an employee, you want a slave.

Shi

Expert Member
No MyBroadband. Work-life balance is ESSENTIAL to a happy hard-working employee. Good luck in finding a sucker who is good enough according to your standards AND is willing to be emotionally unhappy and unfulfilled as a human being because of your demand. Maybe up the pay to R100 000 / month to make it worthwhile for someone to give up their life for you. You don't want an employee, you want a slave.
If you look after your employees, they will look after your company

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I also don't like that kind of thing.

One, it is an outdated way of thinking. Employees that are motivated and rested are more creative and productive. Multiple studies have shown that, when employees get tired, productivity drops off a cliff. You are just wasting time.

This is why people often have flashes of inspiration for how to solve a problem while sleeping.

Two, I am guessing that the remuneration does not match the expectations for work time.

syntax

Executive Member
at least they are being open in saying that they are going to work you like a pig.
If you apply then you know what you are in for

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
at least they are being open in saying that they are going to work you like a pig.
If you apply then you know what you are in for
No usually they glare at you disapprovingly when you leave at 5:05.

EDIT: Oh and don't bother telling them you got in at 6AM that day. Doesn't count.

PS I do not work for a company like this at the moment but I have had the pleasure.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You really must want to work hard. [-]If you are looking for a "work-life balance" or just an 8-to-5 position[/-] Snowflakes, please don't apply. There is huge opportunity for growth here, but you will have to earn it.
FIFY

Bobbin

Executive Member
Hmmm...

Although I agree with OP's sentiments in principle, I wonder if it is more of the case that applicants who specifically state those things are generally the type who want more life than work in their balance? I've never even thought of saying that in an interview or on CV :eek:

They're probably not looking for a mindless drone who is just there to show up and leave on the clock but rather a more conscientious individual who doesn't need to be micro-managed. The "scary" advert just filters out anyone put off by hard work.

/devils advocate off

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Hmmm...

Although I agree with OP's sentiments in principle, I wonder if it is more of the case that applicants who specifically state those things are generally the type who want more life than work in their balance? I've never even thought of saying that in an interview or on CV :eek:

They're probably not looking for a mindless drone who is just there to show up and leave on the clock but rather a more conscientious individual who doesn't need to be micro-managed. The "scary" advert just filters out anyone put off by hard work.

/devils advocate off
Thing is, I don't know why you would bother saying that in an advert.

EVERY company wants employees who go the extra mile. Do you think an advert like this is more likely to attract people who will go the extra mile? I think it unlikely.

It is however a red flag to a lot of potential candidates who might see it as an indication that the hiring manager has unrealistic expectations of his/her staff.

R13...

Honorary Master
Maybe it's a joke. There was a recruiter called the working earth who used to place these taking the piss ads to see how many would miss the joke and apply

saturnz

Honorary Master
so what happened to work smart and not hard...

I will never work hard in my life, and I don't expect anyone else too either, theres simply no point