When you post a job application, this is the worst mistake you can make

saturnz

Honorary Master
Maybe it's a joke. There was a recruiter called the working earth who used to place these taking the piss ads to see how many would miss the joke and apply
not sure which is worse, getting your jokes from the unemployed or expecting them to be your slave

spiff

Expert Member
I also don't like that kind of thing.

One, it is an outdated way of thinking. Employees that are motivated and rested are more creative and productive. Multiple studies have shown that, when employees get tired, productivity drops off a cliff. You are just wasting time.

This is why people often have flashes of inspiration for how to solve a problem while sleeping.

Two, I am guessing that the remuneration does not match the expectations for work time.
spot on - have solved many problems while sleeping - (not on the job)

also - been hired to do a specific job, but soon the company expects you to do xyz while you at it, without the matching remuneration sux!!

Bobbin

Executive Member
so what happened to work smart and not hard...

I will never work hard in my life, and I don't expect anyone else too either, theres simply no point
Just depends on how much (and what) you're willing to sacrifice and to what end.

If I decided that I will sacrifice the next year of my life for the pursuit of some carefully selected goal, and by doing so I work hard and consistent on that, I'd very likely be in a much better position a year from now.

If those goals were attributed to my survival and financial well being then it should have a knock-on effect for years to come. i.e. If I studied or developed my skills every day for the next 365 days.

I think most of us sacrifice little more than the bare minimum we perceive we need to survive (Our brains ensure we stay as lazy AF) - even if that minimum consumes all of your time (For those under the poverty line) or not.

Nothing wrong with working hard if the juice is worth the squeeze :p

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
MyBroadBand said:
You really must want to work hard. If you are looking for a "work-life balance" or just an 8-to-5 position, please don't apply. There is huge opportunity for growth here, but you will have to earn it.
Is that their way of saying "we won't pay overtime" or that they have flexible work hours (aka you can work 6 to 3 or 9 to 6 for example)? I suspect it isn't the latter...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Might have helped if the OP had linked to the job posting proper - https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/940849-Sub-Editor-and-Journalist

As you can see it's a journalism job and journalism is not a 9-5 job, and it hasn't been since the world shifted to a 24 hour news cycle. If a story breaks you have to write about it then and there. You can't say oh look, it's 4:55pm, I'll write about it tomorrow, because by then someone else would have.

Bobbin

Executive Member
this is just a job
I'm commenting in context of the general working hard debate which IIRC you've raised previously :p (And incidentally I was the one who said work smart)

Nothing wrong with working hard at an occupation that is rewarding either though. IF it is rewarding... else yes, no point.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I also don't like that kind of thing.

One, it is an outdated way of thinking. Employees that are motivated and rested are more creative and productive. Multiple studies have shown that, when employees get tired, productivity drops off a cliff. You are just wasting time.

This is why people often have flashes of inspiration for how to solve a problem while sleeping.

Two, I am guessing that the remuneration does not match the expectations for work time.
Yeah, I'm firmly of the opinion that even the 8 hour day thing is BS and multiple studies have also pointed to that (5 hours is enough unless you actually need more time).
I try to get out of the office as soon as I can, and funny thing is, when I have something to do and I'm into it I don't care about the time... it all levels out over time.
Also, as I'm getting closer to 40 I've realized that time is literally my most important asset at this time, I've started giving zero f***s about trying to impress people by being one of those annoying twats who always brag about how many hours they've done this week/month and I've been better off for it...

My Google Maps monthly summary is currently showing that I spend more than 50 hours a month in traffic (and I don't even live that far from work, welcome to JHB). That is completely insane and unacceptable, I don't care how much someone loves their job, 50 Hours a month staring at someone's brake lights is a waste of human life.
My next goal is to start getting my company to implement work-from-home days, and excelling at it so they can see how well it works.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Hmmm...

Although I agree with OP's sentiments in principle, I wonder if it is more of the case that applicants who specifically state those things are generally the type who want more life than work in their balance? I've never even thought of saying that in an interview or on CV :eek:

They're probably not looking for a mindless drone who is just there to show up and leave on the clock but rather a more conscientious individual who doesn't need to be micro-managed. The "scary" advert just filters out anyone put off by hard work.

/devils advocate off
...whcih would be correct/healthy. You should work to live not love to work, this isn't a matter of opinion btw, just ask your GP.

Might have helped if the OP had linked to the job posting proper - https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/940849-Sub-Editor-and-Journalist

As you can see it's a journalism job and journalism is not a 9-5 job, and it hasn't been since the world shifted to a 24 hour news cycle. If a story breaks you have to write about it then and there. You can't say oh look, it's 4:55pm, I'll write about it tomorrow, because by then someone else would have.
Ok, I'm all for it if MyBB is trying to increase the quality of their journalism.

crackersa

Honorary Master

Just call the “event” and ask to hold till 8am. Problem solved!

Thanks for clearing this up, some jobs are not limited to standard hours. Imagine if a doctor, fireman, or policeman worked office hours.

genetic

Honorary Master

This. Fail on OP's part.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Just call the “event” and ask to hold till 8am. Problem solved!
I wish - tried getting the Proteas to finish up early on the first day of the test so I could take my missus out to an early birthday dinner but they weren't receptive... :p :D

Nick333

Honorary Master

Agreed. Writing is a passion and it's no great stretch to expect a writer in a given field to be passionate about said field, especially tech.

When playing games, using new devices, OS's, Web-based services, etc., etc. and then writing about them is your job, how do you separate your job from your private life anyway?

eehellfire

Executive Member
No MyBroadband. Work-life balance is ESSENTIAL to a happy hard-working employee. Good luck in finding a sucker who is good enough according to your standards AND is willing to be emotionally unhappy and unfulfilled as a human being because of your demand. Maybe up the pay to R100 000 / month to make it worthwhile for someone to give up their life for you. You don't want an employee, you want a slave.
Why is R100k enough to give up work-life balance?

crackersa

Honorary Master
I wish - tried getting the Proteas to finish up early on the first day of the test so I could take my missus out to an early birthday dinner but they weren't receptive... :p :D
I think if you told them they would lose anyways, it would have helped your case!

:)

Knyro

Honorary Master
Where's that guy with a BA Journalism degree that's always posting about getting a job?

Now's your chance my boy. :p