When you post a job application, this is the worst mistake you can make

No wonder the articles are so badly written and the headins not even close to the content. Poor journalists are working 24/7. Shem... and for that pay... tsek!

:p :D

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Job Ad said:
You really must be able to write and edit. You will be tested in the interview process, and if you do not deliver, you will not be selected.

You really must want to work hard. If you are looking for a "work-life balance" or just an 8-to-5 position, please don't apply. There is huge opportunity for growth here, but you will have to earn it.
Wow this would make me run in the other direction!

Sepeng

Expert Member
Might have helped if the OP had linked to the job posting proper - https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/940849-Sub-Editor-and-Journalist

As you can see it's a journalism job and journalism is not a 9-5 job, and it hasn't been since the world shifted to a 24 hour news cycle. If a story breaks you have to write about it then and there. You can't say oh look, it's 4:55pm, I'll write about it tomorrow, because by then someone else would have.
Well to be fair, it also applies to this job: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/940847-Business-Development-and-Sales-Executive
Sales Executive. Which you might argue is also not a strict 9-5 kinda job.
Although I do love the title. Sales Executive. I wonder what the boss is called?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Hmmm...

Although I agree with OP's sentiments in principle, I wonder if it is more of the case that applicants who specifically state those things are generally the type who want more life than work in their balance? I've never even thought of saying that in an interview or on CV :eek:

They're probably not looking for a mindless drone who is just there to show up and leave on the clock but rather a more conscientious individual who doesn't need to be micro-managed. The "scary" advert just filters out anyone put off by hard work.

/devils advocate off
That's fine, but then flexibility works both ways. The person should be able to go home when they're doing nothing, if they're expected to pull long hours during busier periods. If this is what they meant then they have a poor way of wording it...

saturnz

Honorary Master
Agreed. Writing is a passion and it's no great stretch to expect a writer in a given field to be passionate about said field, especially tech.

When playing games, using new devices, OS's, Web-based services, etc., etc. and then writing about them is your job, how do you separate your job from your private life anyway?
but if you know how to build a crypto mine why would you want to write news articles on demand while driving your lambo?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Might have helped if the OP had linked to the job posting proper - https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/940849-Sub-Editor-and-Journalist

As you can see it's a journalism job and journalism is not a 9-5 job, and it hasn't been since the world shifted to a 24 hour news cycle. If a story breaks you have to write about it then and there. You can't say oh look, it's 4:55pm, I'll write about it tomorrow, because by then someone else would have.
I think you ment to say, if a story breaks you need to copy and paste it.