When your body becomes your password, the end of the login is nigh

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Apple uses your finger print on their newer iPads to allow access to aspects of its operation. That is a password.

A password is a login detail. Just happens to be that your finger is both the username and the password.

Swa

Honorary Master
Passwords are a pain. I’ve just had to rummage around for the password required in order to post this article. I seem to have 100 or more different identities on different websites to manage.
Use Opera 12. Solved the problem ages ago. :)

Apple uses your finger print on their newer iPads to allow access to aspects of its operation. That is a password.
Just because some outdated company is breaking the rule doesn't make it any less valid.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Gives new meaning to that age old DOS-era typo joke...

Please do not be offended....

"Please insert d*ck into drive A:
Press any key to continue ..."

zippy

Honorary Master
Exactly. Biometrics on its own is too risky. It can be duplicated or simulated. But using it as part of the password is a very secure solution.
Can be argued that passwords are even worse. People forget them. Write them down. Use obvious ones.

For every argument against biometric, passwords are worse.

The mistake people about any kind of access control is that they think it should be perfect. The same with encryption. It's never perfect. The best access control is no access at all. I.e. Build a wall, not a door with a lock. (Yes you blow the wall down, but you get my meaning)

Every access control can compromised. It's a question of whether the cost/effort of breaking it is justified by the value of what's behind the door.

Swa

Honorary Master
Can be argued that passwords are even worse. People forget them. Write them down. Use obvious ones.

For every argument against biometric, passwords are worse.

The mistake people about any kind of access control is that they think it should be perfect. The same with encryption. It's never perfect. The best access control is no access at all. I.e. Build a wall, not a door with a lock. (Yes you blow the wall down, but you get my meaning)

Every access control can compromised. It's a question of whether the cost/effort of breaking it is justified by the value of what's behind the door.
Problem with biometrics is that once it's compromised it's useless. You can't change your fingerprint, voice, iris or any other part of your body. It's good as part of a login to make passwords more secure.

The Door

Honorary Master
Problem with biometrics is that once it's compromised it's useless. You can't change your fingerprint, voice, iris or any other part of your body. It's good as part of a login to make passwords more secure.

This. Ultimately I reckon we'll likely see a wearable or embedded chip as the solution... that plus pin/pw.

Last edited by a moderator:

zippy

Honorary Master
I don't disagree, but my point is that the cost of replicating the average persons fingerprints or iris vastly outweigh the benefit. It's far cheaper to steal data from the general public by gathering millions of passwords using malware than it is to gather the same volume of biometric data.