Where are they now?- Honda

Chun_li

Honda is an amazing company. They have a wide range of products, from small generators, car and bikes all the way to planes and robots. Pretty cool right? It is even better once you factor in their ground-breaking cars such as the original CIVIC (never thought a CIVIC would be ground-breaking but it was) the Clarity ( which can be leased out with the hydrogen drive-train) not to mention Honda's first production car. Honda isn't a company that lacks pedigree either or history. They have the uber cool NSX, Type R models, S2000, Beat just to name a few.

When they entered the South African market they came with the CIVIC sedan which they called the Ballade because it sounded more premium than CIVIC ( at that time Honda's were sold through Mercedes dealers). In the 80s and 90s they enjoyed good sales up to the late 2000s. Then poof now they sell less than Renault. RENAULT. HOW CAN THIS BE. Technically the sales used to be the other way around but things changed. BUT what? I believe that they did not cater that much for the budget sector as well as companies such as Reno and Suzuki. Even Honda's bikes that are offered in SA are not budget orientated or interesting. If you look at the Honda Monkey, Grom and Cub they are so cool yet not sold here. But Suzuki sells the vanvan.

Let me know down below what you think made Honda take a dip in sales

thechamp

Honorary Master
They slept on the job and never took the market seriously. Anyone who does not care about the B hatch segment in SA can never compete. Someone needs to explain to them, slowly, that the Honda Jazz is not a competition to the VW Polo.

They wasted everyone's time with that mediocrity called Brio instead of building a spacious, affordable hatch to compete with the Etios and the Vivo.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Have a read at this well written article. It touches on a number of points:

Chun_li

They slept on the job and never took the market seriously. Anyone who does not care about the B hatch segment in SA can never compete. Someone needs to explain to them, slowly, that the Honda Jazz is not a competition to the VW Polo.

They wasted everyone's time with that mediocrity called Brio instead of building a spacious, affordable hatch to compete with the Etios and the Vivo.
True. I have nothing against their products but the Brio is not as good all round as some of its rivals. The Jazz is good but old now.
They also don't advertise

Chun_li

Have a read at this well written article. It touches on a number of points:

Yup I read that a while ago. I just thought I'd find out what citizens and potential buyers think the issue is.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
One nice sporty Civic and they'll make a comeback.
The Civic is already pretty sporty and a bloody good car...
What they need to do is stop letting the 2yr old near the design software. The Civic is just over designed.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It is alot but so is a golf R especially when you tick a few options
And the golf R looks 100x better than the Civic Type R.

If money wasn't the issue and I had to choose between either the Golf or the Civic, I'd choose the Golf any day of the week.

Chun_li

What Honda SA should do is definitely change its local identity...or find one

What would be pretty cool is if they sold their K cars in SA and sold it as a lifestyle product rather than a car

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What Honda SA should do is definitely change its local identity...or find one

What would be pretty cool is if they sold their K cars in SA and sold it as a lifestyle product rather than a car
As much as I like that idea, it would never fly. The K Car would just not be competitive in this country once you add the shipping and duties costs that Honda would have to shoulder for them.

The N-Box Slash is R200k before adding vat/duties and shipping.

Chun_li

As much as I like that idea, it would never fly. The K Car would just not be competitive in this country once you add the shipping and duties costs that Honda would have to shoulder for them.

The N-Box Slash is R200k before adding vat/duties and shipping.
Yeah, the new Brio looks promising (much better than before) but it isn't coming to SA. I guess the Amaze will have to take its place

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, the new Brio looks promising (much better than before) but it isn't coming to SA. I guess the Amaze will have to take its place
Unless the Brio is a monumental upgrade on that POS they branded as a Honda last time I don't see it doing well.

I test drove one of those ones and it was just shyte of the highest order. My missus was very very upset because she had her heart set on a nice new Honda and the Brio was in the price range.

ubercal

Expert Member
And the golf R looks 100x better than the Civic Type R.

If money wasn't the issue and I had to choose between either the Golf or the Civic, I'd choose the Golf any day of the week.
The type R needs to be slighly toned down but still needs to have more flair then the Golf R , then it will be a real winner.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The type R needs to be slighly toned down but still needs to have more flair then the Golf R , then it will be a real winner.
100% Agreed.

The Type R has to be a bit bonkers, but not as bonkers as it currently is.