Where can I find used lithium batteries?

dpc

Hi All,

I am trying to find a source (or sources) of used lithium-ion batteries to up-cycle in a few projects. I know they can be purchased new in 18650 form, but this kind of defeats the purpose. Common sources include used laptop batteries and other consumer electronics. So if anybody is aware of any electronics recycling companies that I could hit up or if you have a source... Please let me know :) Any leads would be appreciated.

dpc

RuhanSA079

I was looking for the same thing last year... It's going to be an pita to test and label the batteries, removing them from packs...

Speedster

Executive Member
Hi All,

I am trying to find a source (or sources) of used lithium-ion batteries to up-cycle in a few projects. I know they can be purchased new in 18650 form, but this kind of defeats the purpose. Common sources include used laptop batteries and other consumer electronics. So if anybody is aware of any electronics recycling companies that I could hit up or if you have a source... Please let me know :) Any leads would be appreciated.

dpc
How many are you looking at?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi All,

dpc
There is an electronic waste place in Silverton you could try.

RuhanSA079

I think any electronic disposal company should do the trick... Best to phone them, and go there to have a look.

chrisc

Executive Member
Toyota (unfortunately only in Japan) sell used battery packs ex Prius

RuhanSA079

I want to run some numbers first to see if it is worth it, think 3-5 kwh pack, not too big or too small. I calculate the feasibility by Rand per Wh, meaning how many watt hours is R1 going to buy me.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I want to run some numbers first to see if it is worth it, think 3-5 kwh pack, not too big or too small. I calculate the feasibility by Rand per Wh, meaning how many watt hours is R1 going to buy me.
3 - 5 kWh? Out of used PC batteries?
Go and find yourself another project. You don't understand what you are doing.

Verde

Expert Member

1581668012739.png

dpc

Thanks everybody for your replies!!

I was looking for the same thing last year... It's going to be an pita to test and label the batteries, removing them from packs...
Yeah, something like that. I don't mind putting in the effort :)

Numbers aren't really a factor, currently, as many as I can get my hands on. If you have any, I would appreciate it :)

There is an electronic waste place in Silverton you could try.
Any idea of the name? Thanks for the lead!

nearest mobile tower to you?
Lol! I work in Telecoms, I prefer to do things the honest way :ROFL:

I think any electronic disposal company should do the trick... Best to phone them, and go there to have a look.
I'll start pestering them on Monday, sometimes a bit hard to find the correct person to talk to

Contact
https://desco.co.za/
010 601 6146 or 011 979 3017

They're on the east rand, if you're elsewhere I'm sure they can direct you.
I am from Gauteng, so I could make a trip that side. Thanks for the lead!

View attachment 784236
Thanks for the article. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but one of the inspirations is a powerwall