Where can I get great value for money on a new laptop?

SEO_CapeTown

I'm looking to spend R8,000 to R9,500 on a new laptop and was wondering where the best value was to be had? Please, help me out as I am having to get this done soon (1 January) and might be forced to go to Incredible Connection and pick up an Atom processor at that price :D

Voicy

Honorary Master
In contrast to popular belief, Incredible Corruption's pricing on laptops is actually not half bad. I know they carry quite a few exclusive items which other distributors cannot acquire.

vinodh

Expert Member
In contrast to popular belief, Incredible Corruption's pricing on laptops is actually not half bad. I know they carry quite a few exclusive items which other distributors cannot acquire.

I agree. If I had to buy a laptop now, I'd buy it from Incredible Connection. Generally speaking, you will find it very difficult to beat their prices on their Acer Aspire range. Also, you won't have any service and support issues (Hi-Fi Corporation). Acer normally fetches, repairs and returns your machine in 7 days. I needed a laptop repaired once a couple of years back and they were excellent. Just do your own research regarding specifications etc of you laptop. The sales people at incredible are very focused on commission...

davemc

Executive Member
As a side-thought, take a look at the second hand laptop market. For 8K you can pick up an absolute monster second hand.

Pada

Executive Member
Look at Laptopdirect.co.za. Unfortunately it's not the most user friendly website :(

Dion Wired had the HP DV7-4060 laptop on a special for R9999 like 2 weeks ago, which is now going for R18k again! You can see the proof from 2 weeks ago here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...op-choices..?p=5251571&viewfull=1#post5251571

Incredible Connection, Dion Wired & HiFi Corporation sometimes have amazing specials like that, but most of the time their prices are too high.

For R8k, you should be able to get a laptop with a 15.6"+ screen, OK dedicated graphics card, i5 mobile processor, 4GB RAM, 802.11n, 320GB+ HDD and Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
Acer normally fetches, repairs and returns your machine in 7 days. I needed a laptop repaired once a couple of years back and they were excellent.

Also had to send an Acer in for repairs once, everything went fine except that it took more than a week. Being without what was my primary computer was a problem.

I've seen a Dell i7 for R10k at IC which is actually quite surprizing and probably what I would buy if I were you(liitle bit bit more than R9.5k though). Good value and an onsite warranty.