Where can I get wood chunks for smoking?

luqmand09

Hey guys

Anyone know where I can buy Apple/Pecan/Cherry wood chunks, I'm currently using wood chips which is fine for chicken, but I plan on doing a Brisket but have no idea where I can get chunks which of course best for low and slow smoking.

Thanks a mil!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Aren't all those slow growing trees? Would be surprised if one can buy chips easy...

AyeFinch

Not to sure what you mean by chunks? You could try places like Country Woods, Rare Woods, Ticktin Timbers, M & A Timbers etc, who would sell you planks that you can saw into your required size.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Hey guys

Anyone know where I can buy Apple/Pecan/Cherry wood chunks, I'm currently using wood chips which is fine for chicken, but I plan on doing a Brisket but have no idea where I can get chunks which of course best for low and slow smoking.

Thanks a mil!
Might have to import, I've only seen chips here unfortunately. What are you using to smoke? I've used chips for ribs, around 6 hours. Worked well.

DJ...

Banned
The problem with buying from tree-fellers is you never know the origin or actual tree used, and more often than not nor does the tree-feller - they assume, send in guys, chop down, dry, and sell. If the smoke is poisonous, it's a gamble you take. It's more often than not all mixed together.

As for the OP's problem, the solution is buying logs and chopping into chunks yourself, or simply using the logs. Or the chips. You simply need to control the temperature which is not done by managing the chips/wood/chunks, but rather the smoker itself...

crackersa

Honorary Master
I saw makro had hickory chips recently, which is the best thing to smoke with. Big you could get some mesquite, that would be great as well

Ancalagon

Honorary Master

A_Frayed_Knot

Hey guys

Thanks a mil!

Did you ever find a place to get wood chunks? I'm also looking, tried the wood chips but they burn too quickly.

Found this site that could possibly help...
http://www.biggreenegg.co.za/shop/product-category/chips-and-planks/

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
Did you ever find a place to get wood chunks? I'm also looking, tried the wood chips but they burn too quickly.

Found this site that could possibly help...
http://www.biggreenegg.co.za/shop/product-category/chips-and-planks/
I tried my first smoked ribeye this past weekend. I used a Weber and packed briquettes using the snake method (2 rows of briquettes, each 2 high against the inner wall of the Weber, only on one side) and topped it with a layer of wood chips.

It worked absolutely beautifully and I still had half the coals and wood chips left over after 5 hours of smoking. It wasn't a large pack of wood chips (around 1kg I guess) and I used maybe 100g of the chips.

Randhir

Honorary Master
I tried my first smoked ribeye this past weekend. I used a Weber and packed briquettes using the snake method (2 rows of briquettes, each 2 high against the inner wall of the Weber, only on one side) and topped it with a layer of wood chips.
You cooked a ribeye steak for five hours? Or a prime rib roast?

A_Frayed_Knot

Pic might be big, on Tapatalk. But here goes:

That looks awesome, I'm sure it tasted good too.

There isn't much of a smoke ring though, I suspect its the wood chips burning out too quickly? Hence the search for chunks.

Tried your snake method, although I know it as the fuse method.

Since we can't get chunks, I'll try putting the chips in foil, apparently it makes the chips smolder for longer by restricting oxygen. No harm in trying I guess.

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
nicely done

should have documented the journey
There wasn't much to document, in all honesty. It was the most uninvolved braai I've ever had: stack the briquettes and wood chips, light 1 piece of firelighters, fill a foil container with water, put the meat on the grill, cover the grill and laze around for 5 hours while it cooks.

I keep telling my wife it's the lazy man's method of braaiing meat, but it came out so well that I'll be doing it again next weekend with beef fillet.

codus

I'm in the process of sourcing apple wood for smoking .. if you want in say I.