Where can I get wood chunks for smoking?

codus

Has anyone tried smoking with local hardwood like mopanie? It was suggested to me today by someone running a huge custom built smoker at a restaurant.

luqmand09

Pic might be big, on Tapatalk. But here goes:

That looks awesome, I'm sure it tasted good too.

There isn't much of a smoke ring though, I suspect its the wood chips burning out too quickly? Hence the search for chunks.

Tried your snake method, although I know it as the fuse method.

Since we can't get chunks, I'll try putting the chips in foil, apparently it makes the chips smolder for longer by restricting oxygen. No harm in trying I guess.
I did not expect so many replies lol.. But yeah chunks are hard to find.. I still use the chips.. Actually smoking a brisket as i type this..using pecan chips.. Easiest place to get is takealot.. Soaking the chips.. Then using a home made smoke box with small tin trays and foil they last quite long.. I do another top up a quarter way through..

RohDyl

Where to get chips.

Hi all,
first post, but just getting into smoking as well (that snake method is excellent advice, going to use it on my next smoke. I always worry about that charcoal smoke smell getting on the meat, is that not a thing?)
I get my chips from Tafelberg Furnishers, they sell the Big Green Egg brand chips and I got the Apple Wood chips for the first few smokes. Takealot has the Weber brand and few others if you happy to buy online. And some Spars even sell.

codus

Hi all,
first post, but just getting into smoking as well (that snake method is excellent advice, going to use it on my next smoke. I always worry about that charcoal smoke smell getting on the meat, is that not a thing?)
I get my chips from Tafelberg Furnishers, they sell the Big Green Egg brand chips and I got the Apple Wood chips for the first few smokes. Takealot has the Weber brand and few others if you happy to buy online. And some Spars even sell.
If your charcoal burns clean without producing smoke on itself you should be fine. Get the best quality briquettes is like what WW sells not bags filled with broken pieces and dust like Charka.

RohDyl

Thanks for the advice Codus, much appreciated. I want to try out the Big Green Egg brand of charcoal as well, will report back.

codus

Thanks for the advice Codus, much appreciated. I want to try out the Big Green Egg brand of charcoal as well, will report back.
Use briquettes for smoking as they last much longer, lump charcoal for direct cooking as they produce more heat.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I also build smokers in my off time for cheaper than normal price. They are bit expensive to buy from a big company. But i know SA BBQ SMOKERS sell them and SANTA ANNAS
Here is one i built
I was shopping around on SA BBQ SMOKERS website for a smoker like that as well. Shipping is murder to CT though.

Can you PM me a price for the ones that you build?

smokeyshmo

Where do I buy a nice smoker?
Used to get nice stainless steel smoker that was made in RSA
Builders warehouse have started stocking Megamaster smokers. Offsets. If it’s not anything like other Megamaster products, they should be solid. Otherwise you can get the Bradley smokers here. But they’re blerrie expensive.
Re woods. Struggling here in JHB. Apparently rooikrans gives a nice sweet taste, but can’t find. The other option is to use mulberry wood (apparently).