Where can I get wood chunks for smoking?

Hey guys

Anyone know where I can buy Apple/Pecan/Cherry wood chunks, I'm currently using wood chips which is fine for chicken, but I plan on doing a Brisket but have no idea where I can get chunks which of course best for low and slow smoking.

Thanks a mil!
Looking to get cancer?

That's what I thought you were going to say.......:rolleyes:
Therefore in the interests of brevity I didn't spell it out.

I don't braai either.

But it's your choice to make, and not my business.

I did wonder if the seeming prevalence of cancer in SA (my wife has had morre than one type) was due to increasing radiation at altitude in Pretoria, but read a paper that indicates otherwise.

beans100

Executive Member

I don't braai either.

I did wonder if the seeming prevalence of cancer in SA (my wife has had morre than one type) was due to increasing radiation at altitude in Pretoria, but read a paper that indicates otherwise.
What does that mean? Is that a thing? Did you stopped braaing after your wife got ill?

Hope you enjoy steamed food for your 90+ year, disease free life.
There is more than steaming as an alternative to cooking. As to steaming I have not used a pressure cooker in years, and don't have for example a rice steamer.
I am disease free, but not free of damage.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
There is more than steaming as an alternative to cooking. As to steaming I have not used a pressure cooker in years, and don't have for example a rice steamer.
I am disease free, but not free of damage.
Why don't you stop being so cryptic and "mysterious"...it's as tedious as your diet. What do you eat then if you don't braai, fry or steam?

Why don't you stop being so cryptic and "mysterious"...it's as tedious as your diet. What do you eat then if you don't braai, fry or steam?
Sometimes I microwave, sometimes boil, sometimes fry, quite often bake or roast. I toast bread, or fry it on occasion. Very occasionally I grill - I hate cleaning up the grill afterwards!
It may be that we have a comprehension issue, due to our origins: my wife being Afrikaaner - a genuine boerermeisie to boot - we sometimes have such misunderstandings, so I am used to that. For example my wife talks of baking meat, whereas I use the word 'roasting' if it is not in foil. Her origins notwithstanding, she does not much care for braaing either. In any event it is too tedious for words for two, and time consuming. Generally at braais you get far too much to eat, and sometimes the braai master prefers underdone food, which neither of us like. We both like fish and seafood, but do eat meat, although my wife has cut back a bit due to cholesterol considerations. We do use a slow cooker on occasion for some meats. I have a sandwich toaster, but use it little.
Cooking outdoors in the UK, particularly barbecuing, has been popular for at least 30 years, but flying insects are a nuisance, much more so than in anywhere in Africa that I have been - to my surprise when I first went to work there. I did have a barbecue once, used when away in our motor home, with the children, but cleaning it up was a major disincentive.
I have noticed that smoked foods are much more common in SA than in the UK: it is not always easy to get unsmoked bacon for one. Woolworths seem to have stopped stocking it. A few years back I went to several branches, failed to find unsmoked bacon, and asked the manager why. It must have been mentioned at a management meeting, because it suddenly started to appear again!
We rarely eat a steak because of the cooking issue: I have known chefs refuse point blank to do a well done steak, but that is more of a problem in France, even in supermarket caffs. If you do not have it 'bleu', which is something like 20 seconds a side, eyebrows will be raised. If it does not specify 'bifsteak' it will be horsemeat, which is actually quite nice. The UK used to export all the broken down nags to the EU for slaughter, certainly in the 60s and 70s. I know this because there was an export rebate payable, and I verified quite a few claims during my time on the Excise. UK people seem to be squeamish about horsemeat, as is my wife. I am not that bothered. I declined sheep or goat eyeballs in one place however (Dubai). Sweetbreads were nicer than I expected, but I have never cooked them. I imagine the EU has banned them, in the same way as you cannot now get pork chops with kidneys attached. Vote Brexit!!!

I prefer pigs kidney and liver to the lamb or beef versions, an option not available on religious grounds to some. They are a bit difficult to find, but if you wish to even the likes of Pick and Pay will sell them to you if you ask, but be prepared to be the subject of some curiosity! Kidneys broiled in a pan, with some corn flour/ meat cube gravy and served on toast are quick and delicious.

Our diet is pretty mixed/varied, and we eat what we like unless their is some health issue - like in my case eating too much, which cuts out my youthful favourite, the mixed grill.

We have even tried Quorn, which my wife liked more than I did.

Some of the lunatic journalists in the UK describe our eating as 'flexitarian'. I don't care for such labels. Eat what you want, mindful of any risks, but don't be bullied by the health brigade of interfering busybodies.

Most or many SA people like braais, but we don't. So what?

IOPS

Oh noes, microwave?
You're introducing thermo-nuclear fusion into your food powered by satan. Make it stop.

Be careful around high density WiFi zones, they're known to cause tantrums.

By reading this post you've also introduced blue light into your eyes, you will go blind in 1-82 years.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
, but don't be bullied by the health brigade of interfering busybodies.

Most or many SA people like braais, but we don't. So what?
In this long and slightly weird tale of yours, you contradicted yourself a few times.

Also the original point was that you claimed smoking and braaing meat adds a carcinogenic residue to one's diet that will kill you. Which is BS. But your reasons for not liking braais very suddenly become a cultural thing.

My quoted excerpt is rather ironic don't you think?

Sinbad

Honorary Master

I don't braai either.

No man it's obviously all the cellphone masts

In this long and slightly weird tale of yours, you contradicted yourself a few times.

Also the original point was that you claimed smoking and braaing meat adds a carcinogenic residue to one's diet that will kill you. Which is BS. But your reasons for not liking braais very suddenly become a cultural thing.

My quoted excerpt is rather ironic don't you think?
No, not at all. I made it clear that any choice is yours. To my mind all there is on the carcinogen subject is suspicion. In the same way there are smokers who live to advanced years, despite the anti smoking lobby being so successful.
I initially did not raise issues such as cultural things or personal likes/dislikes, as they are just that: personal. If I dislike something, you might well reasonably disagree. But risks, or potential risks, such as alleged carcinations, are more general matters on which each of us has to make a decision, rather than a matter of mere personal taste. Since I made that post, someone else made the point about the ideal fuel giving no smoke, but rather a steady glow. That might remove the risk?

As to the rest, well you did ask, did you not, suggesting I was being cryptic!

Last edited:
No man it's obviously all the cellphone masts
Or even the high voltage transmission lines!
I was at one time interested in a particular house that had a high voltage transmission pylon within its (extensive) grounds. There was a huge dossier concerning the views of various experts, and much arguing re the health risks. It was to my mind inconclusive, but a change of job resolved any issues for me, as I went elsewhere.
Oh noes, microwave?
You're introducing thermo-nuclear fusion into your food powered by satan. Make it stop.

Be careful around high density WiFi zones, they're known to cause tantrums.

By reading this post you've also introduced blue light into your eyes, you will go blind in 1-82 years.
Now you mention it, my eyesight is much less good than it was 60 years ago.............

Randhir

Honorary Master
Or even the high voltage transmission lines!
I was at one time interested in a particular house that had a high voltage transmission pylon within its (extensive) grounds. There was a huge dossier concerning the views of various experts, and much arguing re the health risks. It was to my mind inconclusive, but a change of job resolved any issues for me, as I went elsewhere.

Now you mention it, my eyesight is much less good than it was 60 years ago.............
Could I ask that if you'd like to keep chatting about your preferences/opinions you start a thread about that and leave this one un-derailed?

@LazyLion can we get a cleanup in this thread?