Where can I get wood chunks for smoking?

GSsmoker

Hi gents, I accidentally stumbled on this site and I was most intrigued by the discussion on smoking, I am busy building a smoker and I am wondering where does one find proper wood to smoke with and not just the chips that's available at builders or other retail stores?

Hi Guys
Been smoking for almost 3 years now (joburg), started out with an ugly drum setup, but recently upgraded to a vertical offset, built by someone advertising on gumtree. I have a similar issue getting hold of smoking logs and found the following. Reputable tree fellers is a good source of wood (oak and mulberry). Most of our oak is Pin Oak, so you need to let it season for minimum 10 months. Recently started with Black Wattle, really nice sweet smelling wood and more available.

Trying to get hold of some pecan and peach wood, but it is a struggle.

GSsmoker

Thanks for the tip, will defnitely try the black wattle and see what the local tree fellers in Cpt can find, my smoker is almost done so I can't wait to start experimenting.

handyman007

Hi Guys
Been smoking for almost 3 years now (joburg), started out with an ugly drum setup, but recently upgraded to a vertical offset, built by someone advertising on gumtree. I have a similar issue getting hold of smoking logs and found the following. Reputable tree fellers is a good source of wood (oak and mulberry). Most of our oak is Pin Oak, so you need to let it season for minimum 10 months. Recently started with Black Wattle, really nice sweet smelling wood and more available.

Trying to get hold of some pecan and peach wood, but it is a struggle.
Where did you buy your smokers?

GSsmoker

I have seen many and got some advice from a place that builds smokers and due to my job I get around to many places, I am in the final stages of building my own reverse flow smoker using two large compressor tanks

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Thanks for the tip, will defnitely try the black wattle and see what the local tree fellers in Cpt can find, my smoker is almost done so I can't wait to start experimenting.
Just be careful of the tree fellers.. They will pass off all sorts of shyte as black wattle...

Hi I have just bought a brand new Weber Smokey Mountain 57cm but great was my shock to find that smoking wood chunks are simply not available. I got the "machine" for our Christmas stuff and now I'm really stuck.
Wood chips is not for this monstrosity of a pit. I need chunks. Bought the correct meats etc (also our butcheries sound alarmed when you ask for a whole side of brisket, but I got it right somehow.

Okay I found some Namibian hardwood at Woollies. Does anyone know if those are okay to use for smoking? Would really appreciate

lived666

Executive Member
well if you need chunks and not pellets I'm sure the wood you found at woolies will work, but have you checked builders, I'm sure I saw something there? I think chunks might be too bulky to import.

Re Brisket - meatworld have no issue selling a full-on brisket - they will even debone etc if you ask nicely.

GoB

Expert Member
Hi I have just bought a brand new Weber Smokey Mountain 57cm but great was my shock to find that smoking wood chunks are simply not available. I got the "machine" for our Christmas stuff and now I'm really stuck.
Wood chips is not for this monstrosity of a pit. I need chunks. Bought the correct meats etc (also our butcheries sound alarmed when you ask for a whole side of brisket, but I got it right somehow.
Woah 6 times the cooking area of my 37cm! And I have smoked 5kg at once.

Until you get the chunks, if the issue is that the chips burn out too often, you can wrap some in a ball of foil. I use the chips as-is soaked in water. For the first hour when the meat will absorb most of the smoke, I will add some every 30 minutes - then every hour or two.

Snyper564

Expert Member
I get occasional peach wood chunks from my dad when they cut the odd peach tree down. Lovely for some pulled pork!