• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Where can I get wood chunks for smoking?

GSsmoker

Hi gents, I accidentally stumbled on this site and I was most intrigued by the discussion on smoking, I am busy building a smoker and I am wondering where does one find proper wood to smoke with and not just the chips that's available at builders or other retail stores?

Hi Guys
Been smoking for almost 3 years now (joburg), started out with an ugly drum setup, but recently upgraded to a vertical offset, built by someone advertising on gumtree. I have a similar issue getting hold of smoking logs and found the following. Reputable tree fellers is a good source of wood (oak and mulberry). Most of our oak is Pin Oak, so you need to let it season for minimum 10 months. Recently started with Black Wattle, really nice sweet smelling wood and more available.

Trying to get hold of some pecan and peach wood, but it is a struggle.

GSsmoker

Thanks for the tip, will defnitely try the black wattle and see what the local tree fellers in Cpt can find, my smoker is almost done so I can't wait to start experimenting.

handyman007

Hi Guys
Been smoking for almost 3 years now (joburg), started out with an ugly drum setup, but recently upgraded to a vertical offset, built by someone advertising on gumtree. I have a similar issue getting hold of smoking logs and found the following. Reputable tree fellers is a good source of wood (oak and mulberry). Most of our oak is Pin Oak, so you need to let it season for minimum 10 months. Recently started with Black Wattle, really nice sweet smelling wood and more available.

Trying to get hold of some pecan and peach wood, but it is a struggle.
Where did you buy your smokers?

GSsmoker

I have seen many and got some advice from a place that builds smokers and due to my job I get around to many places, I am in the final stages of building my own reverse flow smoker using two large compressor tanks

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Thanks for the tip, will defnitely try the black wattle and see what the local tree fellers in Cpt can find, my smoker is almost done so I can't wait to start experimenting.
Just be careful of the tree fellers.. They will pass off all sorts of shyte as black wattle...