Bradley_123

Hey everyone. I`m currently studying to be a teacher at a public university in South Africa, but I want to transfer my studies to a distance learning institution. UNISA won`t tell me which modules I will be exempted from until I register with them and pay my study fees (which is a major risk I don`t want to take). North-West University won`t allow my transfer. So, I`m trying to find other places I can finish my degree online. Does anyone know of other places I can study a teaching degree online? I am also thinking of studying through a foreign distance learning university, like one in Australia or England. Is it a good idea to try to use a foreign teaching degree at CAPS schools in South Africa? Any advice will be appreciated!

Marsie27

There are very few PGCE modules that are closely comparable with each other in SA universities, so you can't necessarily expect to have credits from one university recognised by another university. You could try a private institution such as MANCOSA.
Before you register to study for an overseas distance qualification, you should first check with SACE that it would be acceptable for registration as a teacher in SA.

Bradley_123

Thank you for your comment. I`m actually doing a BEd, not a PGCE. Unfortunately, MANCOSA don`t offer a BEd. Thank you for the help though.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I'm not sure if I'm being helpful here, but when it comes to UNISA, I don't think the process is as costly as you think. When you register, you only need to select which modules you plan on doing that semester. I am assuming you will study part time, so there won't be that many. To finalize registration, there is just a minimum payment, you don't need to pay everything in one go.

So what I'd do is wait for registration to open, and then:

- Check what modules they offer and work out what you don't need to do
- Fill in this form
- Complete registration
- Pay the minimum fee
- Submit the form and all the supporting docs

Then you just need to wait it out.

I got all the info from here.