Where Can I Test The Flat Earth Theory In Durban/KZN?

Urist

Expert Member
Ask someone in Hawaii to put a slice of bread on the ground, do the same, and see if you get a sandwich.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Is there any flat land over a 1km in the province?
Standing water (i.e. dam not a river) is the "flattest" surface you can use. Any of our dams would do. Hazelmere Dam in Verulam is probably the closest. But not on a windy day.

I so enjoyed the look on the dudes face at the end of the movie when they had to lift the light.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Standing water (i.e. dam not a river) is the "flattest" surface you can use. Any of our dams would do. Hazelmere Dam in Verulam is probably the closest. But not on a windy day.

I so enjoyed the look on the dudes face at the end of the movie when they had to lift the light.
His quip has become a meme for debunkers: "Interesting"

Thor

Honorary Master
Recently went a Flat Earth rabbit hole after watching the Netflix documentary. Watching all these Flat Eathers do "experiments" made me realise short of of going on the ocean I cannot think any other place where you could do the horizon test. Is there any flat land over a 1km in the province?
Stand in front of a car if it drives over you and you die then the earth is flat. If the car swirls around you and misses you then I hope you learned your lesson not to do stupid things.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Open a bible - no tests necessary. proof is all in there.
I don't believe the earth is flat. But the Bible is also nothing to be taken at face value. In fact any doctrine of organised religion has been so corrupted to suit the need so whoever was in power, be it the Popes, Kings, politicians, "holymen".

MEIOT

Expert Member
I don't believe the earth is flat. But the Bible is also nothing to be taken at face value. In fact any doctrine of organised religion has been so corrupted to suit the need so whoever was in power, be it the Popes, Kings, politicians, "holymen".
Indeed

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
The only difference between Flat Earthers and religion is that, scientifically, you can disprove the earth is flat. Where as with religion, a lot of it requires faith because what was written my be an exaggeration or witten in a way to make it seem supernatural.

Which is more scientifically possible?
A being travelled from another part of the galaxy to earth to dump their overpopulation (Xenu).
A virgin woman becoming pregnant (Mary). Although asexual reproduction is possible in some organisms.

geezer

Expert Member
Recently went a Flat Earth rabbit hole after watching the Netflix documentary. Watching all these Flat Eathers do "experiments" made me realise short of of going on the ocean I cannot think any other place where you could do the horizon test. Is there any flat land over a 1km in the province?
To get to the best place in South Africa to do this, you will unfortuantely have to take a road trip. The best place probably to do a proper experiment is at Verneukpan in the Northern Cape. There is a long weekend coming up, so you will have plenty of time to do so. According to Wikipedia "The surface is completely flat, and is approximately 57 kilometres (35 mi) long and 11 kilometres (7 mi) wide."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verneukpan

Be sure to document and film everything and share your findings with us.......:whistling:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Make a makeshift hot air balloon, you can probably go high enough to see the curvature of the earth before dying
You can, you just need a weather balloon made of latex, a gopro and an arduino with GPS+cellular to find it all after the balloon eventually pops. There are a few vids on youtube about it, Im keen to try it sometime.

You can, you just need a weather balloon made of latex, a gopro and an arduino with GPS+cellular to find it all after the balloon eventually pops. There are a few vids on youtube about it, Im keen to try it sometime.
But this guy wants to see for himself and not with a camera. Since the live NASA feed is apparently propaganda or something.

His only bet is to attach a basket instead of a camera and carry a parachute for the ride down

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Well If OP is prepared to travel to Verneukpan, then all he needs to do is at night, put a powerful torch down on the ground, travel for 1.6 km to 2km out on to the pan, keeping your eye on the light and when it disappears from sight record the distance travelled, measure the height above the surface to eye level and calculate the curvature of the earth. Really simple.

D4N_CPT

If you know anything about Microwave or Light transmission, plus good at mathematics especially spherical Geometry, you don't need a flat part of the earth to prove that the earth is not flat.
All you need is two high points with LOS and a known obstacle say halfway, plus a mast at the one side that you can climb with a receiver or a pair of binocs,, not too far apart that you can't "see" a laser or receive a microwave signal.
50 km is enough.
Then do the measurements take into account the terrain and within a few minutes, you will be able to measure enough to know that the earth is NOT flat.
QED.

Do yourself a favour. Stay away from the daft side of youtube and Netflix. Ultimately, it will make you insane.
FTFY