Where did the chicken that crossed the road come from?

Currantly

I'm going to remain seated if corrected but, I thought that chicken had to have the source country stated on the packaging?

I avoid chicken from Brazil, Hungary etc. but today I found some in store chicken products with no mention of the source country.

I guess I can inquire of the store itself, but why should one have to go through all that trouble when they could have just stated it on the packaging?

KT-B

Honorary Master
I'm going to remain seated if corrected but, I thought that chicken had to have the source country stated on the packaging?

I avoid chicken from Brazil, Hungary etc. but today I found some in store chicken products with no mention of the source country.

I guess I can inquire of the store itself, but why should one have to go through all that trouble when they could have just stated it on the packaging?
I presume most of the unlabeled chicken will be local. They are very easy to grow - and when force-fed, it only takes a few months from egg to table. The price will also be a good indicator. The more expensive - the further it had to travel, the longer it lived for, the more sun it saw and possibly the better life it had (but that is still under debate).

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The more expensive - the further it had to travel,
Not a chance. The cheapest stuff you can get has come from Brazil. Brined to the nines and frozen at least once before. The force fed rainbow chickens from Delmas cost way way more per kg.

KT-B

Honorary Master
Not a chance. The cheapest stuff you can get has come from Brazil. Brined to the nines and frozen at least once before. The force fed rainbow chickens from Delmas cost way way more per kg.
Olievenhoutbosch chickens are available fresh - on the side of the road

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Olievenhoutbosch chickens are available fresh - on the side of the road
Bet they're still more expensive than brined pre-frozen Brazilians. Of course I can't remember when last I've seen a chicken with a brazilian, everyone is either full bush or shaved like an olympic swimmer these days.

Currantly

Yeah, there is also an ongoing contamination scandal with chicken from Brazil:

Earlier this month, a major Brazilian producer recalled more than 450 tons of chicken because of a possible threat of salmonella contamination. According to FairPlay, this underlines why the South African government should follow international example and ban Brazilian chicken imports until all producers there can meet international health standards.

This is what other countries have done after finding unsafe or contaminated meat or questionable practices, and while Brazil’s producers evaded, or failed to comply with, food safety regulations.

This is a major concern for South Africa, which imports hundreds of thousands of tons of chicken from Brazil every year. Brazilian imports have risen significantly in recent years as their producers target our market with predatory imports designed to put local producers out of business and kill local jobs. Brazil now accounts for more than 60% of South Africa’s chicken imports.
Linky

KT-B

Honorary Master
Bet they're still more expensive than brined pre-frozen Brazilians. Of course I can't remember when last I've seen a chicken with a brazilian, everyone is either full bush or shaved like an olympic swimmer these days.
You look at lots of chickens do you ?

gamer16

Executive Member
Did you know, Chicken is a vegetable.

Why? If you chop its head off it still wanders around.