Where did the felt marker font go? IPad update V7.0.2

chrisdc

Yep after the update we went from 3 available fonts to 1. We've been left with the least interesting (read boring & unimaginative) option - and it's too small. Considering that Apple is often the product of choice for creative people, I don't understand this downgrade at all. Is it just me?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Yep after the update we went from 3 available fonts to 1. We've been left with the least interesting (read boring & unimaginative) option - and it's too small. Considering that Apple is often the product of choice for creative people, I don't understand this downgrade at all. Is it just me?
why so many separate threads about essentially the same thing: problems you have with iOS7?

Ps. iOS has more than 260 fonts, clearly you need to mention the context of your frustration.

chrisdc

[)roi(];11607198 said:
why so many separate threads about essentially the same thing: problems you have with iOS7?

Ps. iOS has more than 260 fonts, clearly you need to mention the context of your frustration.

There are 260 fonts on an iPad!! Really? Where?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
There are 260 fonts on an iPad!! Really? Where?
Which App is giving you the problem?

Although iOS includes all these fonts, it is up to the App developer to specify which fonts they want to support in their Apps.

So if you found that your font choice had reduced, the it's most probable that the "problem" resides with the developer. Often this can be a specific design choice of the developer.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
[)roi(];11607208 said:
Which App is giving you the problem?

I think he's referring to the de-skeuomorphism of apples notes app.

And thank goodness. It's like lamenting the loss of comic sans.

chrisdc

I think he's referring to the de-skeuomorphism of apples notes app.

And thank goodness. It's like lamenting the loss of comic sans.

I was referring to the Notes app. And if my dictionary were working, I'd look up that fancy word :)

[)roi(]

Executive Member
I was referring to the Notes app. And if my dictionary were working, I'd look up that fancy word :)

As Bwana indicated; the font choices have been removed in the Notes app by Apple; it is a specific design choice i.e. To maintain a common font throughout the iOS interface and Apple provided Apps.

If you want to, for example see the full set of fonts in iOS7 then I'd suggest looking at an app like Pages which has been built to support the majority of the fonts.

Last edited:

chrisdc

[)roi(];11607264 said:
As Bwana indicated; the font choices have been removed in the Notes app by Apple; it is a specific design choice i.e. To maintain a common font throughout the iOS interface and Apple provided Apps.

If you want to see for example see the full set of fonts in iOS7 then I'd suggest looking at an app like Pages which has been built to support the majority of the fonts.

Guys, why so touchy?

I liked the Notes app. And the felt marker was completely appropriate. Apple must have thought so too, after all, they put it there. I got used to it, then they took it away. Their upgrade has not enhanced my Apple experience at all. If I had know what the consequences of the update would be, I would have left my iPad as it was. That's my opinion. Why not give us the option to "roll back"?

Roi, if you don't mind me asking, how many forums are you on?

surfs-up

Expert Member
Guys, why so touchy?

I liked the Notes app. And the felt marker was completely appropriate. Apple must have thought so too, after all, they put it there. I got used to it, then they took it away. Their upgrade has not enhanced my Apple experience at all. If I had know what the consequences of the update would be, I would have left my iPad as it was. That's my opinion. Why not give us the option to "roll back"?

Roi, if you don't mind me asking, how many forums are you on?

I agree - Notes was probably my most used app on iOS, but since Apple has taken a decision to limit our choice even more, it does not get used much. The only reason I can see why Apple has soured our experience with iOS 7, is to force us to download apps off the app store - I have been forced to download calendar/note apps off the app store, because the once beautiful iOS apps have become dull, boring and limit our ability to customise.

iOS is driving me away from Apple products - I have already made a switch to a Samsung Note 3.....I guess the next change will be a change of tablet, from iPad mini to Samsung Galaxy Tab. I dread doing that - the iPad mini is such a fab device, but iOS really sucks, and appears to be going backwards and not forwards.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I agree - Notes was probably my most used app on iOS, but since Apple has taken a decision to limit our choice even more, it does not get used much. The only reason I can see why Apple has soured our experience with iOS 7, is to force us to download apps off the app store - I have been forced to download calendar/note apps off the app store, because the once beautiful iOS apps have become dull, boring and limit our ability to customise.

I'll take the improved functionality of notes over the loss of the analogue metaphor any day. Calendar.app also took a bit of getting used to but even that's better in it's current form.

surfs-up

Expert Member
I'll take the improved functionality of notes over the loss of the analogue metaphor any day. Calendar.app also took a bit of getting used to but even that's better in it's current form.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree :D and this comes from one of Apples biggest supporters. I have made a number of trips to the USA to attend Apple launches, and visited more than 25 Apple stores across the USA. I still think Apple make the best hardware and software in computing - although I don't like their latest idea of glue'ing batteries into their laptops, essentially making them disposable, or very difficult to work on.

But iOS ? damn they have to send Johnny Ive back to hardware design rather than head iOS design - their use of grey lines on a white background is dumb....and why the heck can't they let us decide for ourselves (read customise) our apps so that we can have whatever colour/font we damn well please ? afterall, we have paid for the devices, they belong to us, not Apple...allow us to have the choice to make what belongs to us, look and work the way we want it too...and no, I don't want to have to root any of my devices to achieve this....freedom of choice should be standard...

/Rantoff :p

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think we will just have to agree to disagree :D and this comes from one of Apples biggest supporters. I have made a number of trips to the USA to attend Apple launches, and visited more than 25 Apple stores across the USA. I still think Apple make the best hardware and software in computing - although I don't like their latest idea of glue'ing batteries into their laptops, essentially making them disposable, or very difficult to work on.

But iOS ? damn they have to send Johnny Ive back to hardware design rather than head iOS design - their use of grey lines on a white background is dumb....and why the heck can't they let us decide for ourselves (read customise) our apps so that we can have whatever colour/font we damn well please ? afterall, we have paid for the devices, they belong to us, not Apple...allow us to have the choice to make what belongs to us, look and work the way we want it too...and no, I don't want to have to root any of my devices to achieve this....freedom of choice should be standard...

/Rantoff :p

If you don't like the way a particular app is presented use a different one - that's where the true flexibility resides.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Ho hum... We really don't need another I don't like iOS thread because...

If you want flexibility to change anything and everything then best you hop over the fence to Android and leave it at that; Apple's not going to change; iOS7 will be refined in time, as was/is the case with OS X.