• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Where does a tourist get a SIM card for the 6 weeks they are visiting SA?

chrisc

Executive Member
Friend arrived on Friday, staying in Cape Town
We went along to CellC store.
First person: No, cannot sell you a SIM since you do not have a permanent address
Second person: Buy one at Pick n Pay and we will sort it out, return with SIM and now they want 3 months bank statement and proof of address. UK address is not valid
Third person: Phone this number 084...... Someone answers speaking foreign language. After 10 mins discover it is a shop somewhere in Jhb
Fourth person: Why are you visiting, you must use your UK phone (explain that Orange does not work in SA, no idea)
Fifth person: You should have bought it at the airport - yes, fine, but Vodafone shop was shut since it was 8.00pm

I cannot believe such an astonishing rigmarole. In the UK, you go along to the shop, pay your £10 or whatever and get a SIM with airtime that lasts a month

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Just go to the nearest Pakistani owned cellphone shop. They all sell pre-rica'd sim cards, no questions asked.

me_

For a foreign visitor, they can use a hotel booking as residential confirmation. If they are staying with a friend / family, then they would need an affidavit from the person they are staying with:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/South_Africa

We keep a spare SIM around the house that we lend to visitors that come stay with us - it's just must easier.

The whole address component of RICA has really over-complicated the process and actually works against the intentions of the act. In other countries, all they need is an identity, but in South Africa, they need proof of address as well. As this makes things more complicated, it encourages bypassing the system as people RICA for others, etc.

moklet

Expert Member
When i get overseas visitors I buy a sim, rica it and let inform them of the number before they even leave, that way they can give the number to people who might need it etc

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Friend arrived on Friday, staying in Cape Town
We went along to CellC store.
First person: No, cannot sell you a SIM since you do not have a permanent address
Second person: Buy one at Pick n Pay and we will sort it out, return with SIM and now they want 3 months bank statement and proof of address. UK address is not valid
Third person: Phone this number 084...... Someone answers speaking foreign language. After 10 mins discover it is a shop somewhere in Jhb
Fourth person: Why are you visiting, you must use your UK phone (explain that Orange does not work in SA, no idea)
Fifth person: You should have bought it at the airport - yes, fine, but Vodafone shop was shut since it was 8.00pm

I cannot believe such an astonishing rigmarole. In the UK, you go along to the shop, pay your £10 or whatever and get a SIM with airtime that lasts a month
Hi chrisc4290

Thank you for posting to us.

Could you please PM us or send us an email to sm@cellc.co.za, we would like to assist in organising you one.

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Also, kindly advise where you are so that we can see which Cell C stores are closest to you.

^BM

chrisc

Executive Member
Its not my inconvenience, it is the visitor's. First thing this morning went along to Pep Cellular and got him a cheapie phone, complete with SIM. Used my credentials. Even got discounted airtime there too, so all sorted

What bothers me is the attitude of the sales people. You might think they want to sell phones and assorted items. But no, they throw barriers into the path all the time. Then the one person contradicts the other in front of you, they have an argument between them and shrug. He got better service in Tanzania.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Its not my inconvenience, it is the visitor's. First thing this morning went along to Pep Cellular and got him a cheapie phone, complete with SIM. Used my credentials. Even got discounted airtime there too, so all sorted

What bothers me is the attitude of the sales people. You might think they want to sell phones and assorted items. But no, they throw barriers into the path all the time. Then the one person contradicts the other in front of you, they have an argument between them and shrug. He got better service in Tanzania.
Aside from legal obligations what barriers are they putting in your way?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you, as well as the visitor.

Do you mind providing us with the number via PM (Private Message)?

^BM

Apogee

When i get overseas visitors I buy a sim, rica it and let inform them of the number before they even leave, that way they can give the number to people who might need it etc
Used to do that in the good old days before the $#&%! RICA disaster.

As I don't want to take on the nuisance of having to go and report it to SAPS if it gets lost or stolen, I always make it a priority to help them to pick one up at the airport.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Used to do that in the good old days before the $#&%! RICA disaster.

As I don't want to take on the nuisance of having to go and report it to SAPS if it gets lost or stolen, I always make it a priority to help them to pick one up at the airport.
Has anyone ever done that?

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Best way to get a Sim card is at the airport. The visitor/tourist only need the passport.
My German BiL hired one at the airport when he was here last week. R500 deposit, you use more than R500 airtime, you pay. You use less, you get refunded.

jaysa

Easiest is to rent a pocket wifi from mobilewifi.co.za while you are in Cape Town. Comes with a SIM and data prices are cheaper.