Where Frogfoot will roll out fibre in 2020

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Where Frogfoot will roll out fibre in 2020

One of the fastest-growing fibre network operators in South Africa is Frogfoot, which currently passes over 140,000 homes with fibre.

The company shows no signs of slowing down its fibre rollout, and MyBroadband spoke to Frogfoot head of sales Shane Chorley to learn about the company's plans for 2020.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Liewe fk! How does Uitenhage get fiber before my suburb in freaking Pretoria where they have fiber 5 blocks away from my street. I seriously wish I could ask someone at Frogfoot why that is :confused:

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
"Where Frogfoot will roll out fibre in 2020"

Anywhere there is a small fibre NOP they can afford to buy.

garyc

Expert Member
At least they are doing far away from me. Last year they did an area I drive through on the way to work. Constantly cut the power cables putting the traffic lights out of action. Also tended to leave their trenches unfilled for a month or more - including the ones over the road.

Nod

Executive Member
I have been trying since October of last year to get the figure of interested people for our town. They are unable to provide me with this detail. I'm not sure how they determine where to roll out, as they have no single message to their potential customers.

I have heard the following on how to get fibre from Frogfoot, during one call being bounced around the office:
1. Ask your local council to go on tender to fibre
2. Ask your ISP for fibre, and the ISP will ask providers in turn
3. Show interest on their website

I tried calling them again this morning, no help whatsoever. Sending email too ftth-at-frogfoot.com results in not answering the question around number of interest shown, and normally #1 above. The ticket also get closed immediately, so there is no way to answer.

I'm starting to wander if I should rather get people to sign up with someone else ...

quovadis

Executive Member
Liewe fk! How does Uitenhage get fiber before my suburb in freaking Pretoria where they have fiber 5 blocks away from my street. I seriously wish I could ask someone at Frogfoot why that is :confused:

It's more profitable to roll out in areas with high demand but less competitors ;)

R4ziel

Expert Member
It's more profitable to roll out in areas with high demand but less competitors ;)

This I totally understand, and I don't know the intricacies behind the decision making, but we have gone through the whole "Do you want fiber, sign this" thing and sent it to ISP's, they just say sure well look into it, even though we get quite a few people interested (35+ on the last run).

I am looking at moving very soon, so I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, but holy crap it's hard to get fiber in a major city, which seems insane

Swa

Honorary Master
So nowhere near here. Meaning Vuma will continue to hold the monopoly.

DanielM344

There is absolutely nothing “froggin awesome” about their network in PE. I have a 50mb line and my speed during peak times is an abysmal 2 to 3 mb....now ain’t that awesome? Just to be clear, this not an ISP problem. Frogfoot has “peak capacity” problems in PE with no ETA on a fix.....lekker man, lekker!

Best part of this whole sad story....they are the only fibre provider in my area....so they are just picking up the monopoly where Telkom dropped the ball. As there are no options they can do what they like and take how long they like and there is nothing we can do ....come to think of it, I actually had better reliability and higher speeds on my 40mb ADSL line...Now that is just sad. Frogfoot fibre is NOT the great savior of the internet....

Just my extremely frustrated 2c worth...

Dan C

Honorary Master
There is absolutely nothing “froggin awesome” about their network in PE. I have a 50mb line and my speed during peak times is an abysmal 2 to 3 mb....now ain’t that awesome? Just to be clear, this not an ISP problem. Frogfoot has “peak capacity” problems in PE with no ETA on a fix.....lekker man, lekker!

Best part of this whole sad story....they are the only fibre provider in my area....so they are just picking up the monopoly where Telkom dropped the ball. As there are no options they can do what they like and take how long they like and there is nothing we can do ....come to think of it, I actually had better reliability and higher speeds on my 40mb ADSL line...Now that is just sad. Frogfoot fibre is NOT the great savior of the internet....

Just my extremely frustrated 2c worth...
Decided to cancel my pre-order from FF. Rather stick with LTE for now.

DanielM344

Decided to cancel my pre-order from FF. Rather stick with LTE for now.

Perhaps a good thing from all the complaints I've read.

Frogfoot is absolutely great if you like your streaming in “little square block” quality, with the sound and picture out of sync...or my absolute favourite.....sound but no picture....whoooo hoooo!!!

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I tried calling them again this morning, no help whatsoever. Sending email too ftth-at-frogfoot.com results in not answering the question around number of interest shown, and normally #1 above. The ticket also get closed immediately, so there is no way to answer.

I'm starting to wander if I should rather get people to sign up with someone else ...
It's a Vox subsidiary, so that's actually normal for them.

Swa

Honorary Master
Perhaps a good thing from all the complaints I've read.
Nothing good about monopolies. It's better to have more than one provider in an area even if one is pathetic. Problem is there isn't more than one in every area that there is fibre.

jondo_h

Frogfoot rolled out here in Somerset West last year, started in February and after months of delays and zero feedback from their support line I gave up and went with OpenServe. I’ll not go near FF with a barge pole. Their customer service is terrible. Once when I called to ask for a firm date for activation in my area, I got transferred from one clueless person to another until I got cut off. Absolutely pathetic customer experience.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
AHA
Seems my experience with these people is NOT abnormal
My experience so far EXACTLY the same as those complaining about bad service

It appears that FF seem to believe that IF they get the fibre to your gate THEIR job is done.
and
They can boast about it
CLEARLY then they CANNOT claim to be providing FTTH !

Waiting for someone to come around and do a complex inspection and give a quote for installation ...!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps we will also just wait for Openserve to finally get off their arses

Perhaps in SA fibre is like TV -- you only get IT after everyone else has had it for ages already

Did you know that while millions around the World were watching the MOON landings on their TV's ALL of SA sat with the thumbs up their bums !
:thumbsdown:

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
I've resigned myself to the fact that Durban is a no go for companies to roll out fibre.

Gonna have to stick to carrier pigeons. The packet loss sucks when hawks swoop down for lunch

R4ziel

Expert Member
Between FrogFoot and Openserve, which would be the best provider to go with should I be in a position to potentially get fiber?

morbill

Home of VW