Where is your girlfriend/wife right now?

blunomore

Honorary Master
Blunomore, don't know how sold you are on Placecol, but I think Environ's Dermalac is SA's ultimate home-grown beauty product. Gently exfoliates overnight just as much as needed. But then again, you've probably heard about it...

I have seen it in beauty salons, never tried it though.

Cara

Expert Member
I used Placecol and I can reocmmend the night cream and the day cream ... the mask wasn't great. The eye cream was also good IMO. I was using the gold special treatment range. The RevitaYouth Booster Serum was also super.

superB

Placecol was very ineffective for me. In fact my skin became more unmanagable and I eventually went back to my tried and tested Clinique.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
This may be a foreign concept to you, but she is also a female. And being in the industry helps too.

Blerry spietkops - can't even get you out of a ticket - don't know why they continue to allow you to post. :rolleyes::p
:p

.Froot.

Executive Member
If she is close by, please be so kind as to ask her whether she has ever used the Placecol range of beauty products or visited one of their salons.

They are a South African brand and I am considering switching to them, so this is just a little bit of an informal market survey. I had rave reviews from a number of people.

Thanks guys :)
My mom uses their stuff now and then... really good. I've gone to them for a back massage a couple of years ago.... well let's just say I fell asleep.... :D

DJ...

Banned
I can confirm that my future-ex recommends Clinique over Placecol in general, but prefers the Placecol hand cream over any others.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
didn't you learn anything from your practice wife ?

You are suppose to listen when they talk to you :p or have you mastered "listening without listening" skill :D

Cos I'm still practising. Then she would say "Did you hear anything I just said ?" and I will go "errrmmm give me a sec just watching this quickly" that changes the subject :D
With patience and perseverance it will come to you too. :D

blunomore

Honorary Master
I can confirm that my future-ex recommends Clinique over Placecol in general, but prefers the Placecol hand cream over any others.

The issue (and the reason why I am considering Placecol) is that it is a SA brand, developed for our conditions.

Clinique is an American brand, so it may not be 100% suited for our climate.

blunomore

Honorary Master
/me applauds Placecol marketing department for a job well done...:D:p

I guess it is pretty much the same as the marketing dept of any company selling you whatever it is that you buy ... non?

Cara

Expert Member
The issue (and the reason why I am considering Placecol) is that it is a SA brand, developed for our conditions.

Clinique is an American brand, so it may not be 100% suited for our climate.
I think Avroy Shlain (sp?) is also an SA brand as is Annique ... if you're looking to support local manufacturers and it turns out that Placecol doesn't suit you.

DJ...

Banned
I guess it is pretty much the same as the marketing dept of any company selling you whatever it is that you buy ... non?
Some marketing departments fall well short of the mark and rely far too heavily on brand recognition - IMO many companies within the retail industry fall into this category and market on features without considering the benefits.

Placecol has cleverly made you realise the benefit through features, which is a good marketing ploy as it results in a lot more word of mouth exposure and reduces their marketing costs whilst maximizing exposure . This thread is proof of that concept.

One must also remember that the strength of their marketing determines the direct retail exposure that they get. So a good marketing strategy will result in major support from major retailer, and vica versa. This means that a well thought out strategy results in both direct and indirect benefits for the company.

Last edited:

Cara

Expert Member
Some marketing departments fall well short of the mark and rely far too heavily on brand recognition - IMO many companies within the retail industry fall into this category and market on features without considering the benefits.

Placecol has cleverly made you realise the benefit through features, which is a good marketing ploy as it results in a lot more word of mouth exposure and reduces their marketing costs whilst maximizing exposure . This thread is proof of that concept.

One must also remember that the strength of their marketing determines the direct retail exposure that they get. So a good marketing strategy will result in major support from major retailer, and vica versa...
For a second I thought you were talking about Apple :D

DJ...

Banned
For a second I thought you were talking about Apple :D
Hahahahaha...:D

Don't even get me started on Apple - I'd write a book about their marketing strategies if it hadn't already been done too many times...

blunomore

Honorary Master

One must also remember that the strength of their marketing determines the direct retail exposure that they get. So a good marketing strategy will result in major support from major retailer, and vica versa. This means that a well thought out strategy results in both direct and indirect benefits for the company.

Long story, but all of it means nothing if the product is not satisfactory to the client.

I know some people are different, but when it comes to beauty products, i want something that works for my skin, shows positive results, etc. It's not the kind of product where I would buy simply because of the *name* of the brand.

So the clever marketing only works up to a point. If they hooked me AND it is a good product, I will stay. If not .. tata!

Barefoot Billionaire

Long story, but all of it means nothing if the product is not satisfactory to the client.

I know some people are different, but when it comes to beauty products, i want something that works for my skin, shows positive results, etc. It's not the kind of product where I would buy simply because of the *name* of the brand.

So the clever marketing only works up to a point. If they hooked me AND it is a good product, I will stay. If not .. tata!
With skin products, local brands are definitely more appropriate. Ever spent a whole summer on the Mediterranean? Their sun is a *****cat against our tiger of a UV monster. Don't find European brands have enough protection for our climate...

My dermatologist won't sell European products either - for the same reason.

DJ...

Banned

What you say is partly true, but the psychology behind a lot of marketing often results in people noticing "results" that are often not even there. What you say is true to an extent depending on the ethics of the company.

A lot of it comes down to brand loyalty and brand envy as well. That is why branding is such an important spoke in 360 marketing. I can almost guarantee you that you have items in your house that you bought because of branding and not benefit. This is a symptom of a middle class, and the norm in the upper echelons. Much of it boils down to our aspirations of who we want to be, who we want to look like, (I hate to use this example) but keeping up with the Jones', a feeling of self-fulfillment or achievement etc. Marketers play on these in very subtle ways to convince you to do what they want you to do.

Studying the psychology of marketing is one of the most fascinating things you could ever do - it really is enjoyable (at least I found it to be). I didn't do it formally for very long, but I have since taken a very keen interest in it. And I can assure you that understanding some of these concepts and CONSCIOUSLY remembering them will result in you saving money, but also finding shopping less enjoyable from a shopping perspective and more entertaining to watch what goes on around you.

Ever read about the placement of items on shelves, and how Walmart have a dedicated research team, paid millions, whose sole responsibility it is to determine shelving and packaging strategies? I can go on forever about this, but it really is a case that the majority of shoppers totally ignore product features in favour of branding. And they will go as far as to create their own benefits to convince themselves. They might even try to convince others based on their own perceptions, however misguided they are. Branding is powerful, and Placecol are letting you and I brand them through a clever marketing campaign. They planted the seed in your head, and you are doing exactly what they wanted you to do.