Where is your girlfriend/wife right now?

Barefoot Billionaire

With skin products, local brands are definitely more appropriate. Ever spent a whole summer on the Mediterranean? Their sun is a *****cat against our tiger of a UV monster. Don't find European brands have enough protection for our climate...

My dermatologist won't sell European products either - for the same reason.
Can't believe I've just been censored - completely innocent.

blunomore

Honorary Master
What you say is partly true, but the psychology behind a lot of marketing often results in people noticing "results" that are often not even there. What you say is true to an extent depending on the ethics of the company.

A lot of it comes down to brand loyalty and brand envy as well. That is why branding is such an important spoke in 360 marketing. I can almost guarantee you that you have items in your house that you bought because of branding and not benefit. This is a symptom of a middle class, and the norm in the upper echelons. Much of it boils down to our aspirations of who we want to be, who we want to look like, (I hate to use this example) but keeping up with the Jones', a feeling of self-fulfillment or achievement etc. Marketers play on these in very subtle ways to convince you to do what they want you to do.

Studying the psychology of marketing is one of the most fascinating things you could ever do - it really is enjoyable (at least I found it to be). I didn't do it formally for very long, but I have since taken a very keen interest in it. And I can assure you that understanding some of these concepts and CONSCIOUSLY remembering them will result in you saving money, but also finding shopping less enjoyable from a shopping perspective and more entertaining to watch what goes on around you.

Ever read about the placement of items on shelves, and how Walmart have a dedicated research team, paid millions, whose sole responsibility it is to determine shelving and packaging strategies? I can go on forever about this, but it really is a case that the majority of shoppers totally ignore product features in favour of branding. And they will go as far as to create their own benefits to convince themselves. They might even try to convince others based on their own perceptions, however misguided they are. Branding is powerful, and Placecol are letting you and I brand them through a clever marketing campaign. They planted the seed in your head, and you are doing exactly what they wanted you to do.

Oh yes, I have read all about placement on shelves and the psychology of it. It is actually well known, but even so, people still fall for it!

I do agree with you about branding. You will note my oft-repeated love for all things Marc Jacobs. Clearly I am his willing victim :D

However, being a person with a budget, I will not use beauty products if I do not experience it as being effective. Handbags, shoes, yes, sure, but not beauty products.

Natasha H

Expert Member
Clinique is not good for your skin at all.. I still recommend Environ (pre cleanser, cleanser and moisturiser.. Claytech mask is also great) and then the Sequence eye cream..

DJ...

Banned
Clinique is not good for your skin at all.. I still recommend Environ (pre cleanser, cleanser and moisturiser.. Claytech mask is also great) and then the Sequence eye cream..
Yes, definitely sweety. And the facemasks too - they really clean those pores better than the iffy Clinique products...

adelp

Expert Member
Clinique made my skin dry and it burned so bad my eyes watered.
But some people swear by it.
I like Olay regen something. But i'm trying out environ when this is finished. Good sales people you are!!

Natasha H

Expert Member
Yes, definitely sweety. And the facemasks too - they really clean those pores better than the iffy Clinique products...

Please don't refer to me as "sweety".. And apologies if I offended you by not agreeing with your recommended clinique product.. It was in no way a personal thing.. I just don't believe that clinique is a good product.

DJ...

Banned
Please don't refer to me as "sweety".. And apologies if I offended you by not agreeing with your recommended clinique product.. It was in no way a personal thing.. I just don't believe that clinique is a good product.
OMG sister - you looking for a bitch-fight? Stop with the hostilities now sweetypie...

blunomore

Honorary Master
WTF? Are you doing an imitation of a kugel or something?

Natasha H

Expert Member
OMG sister - you looking for a bitch-fight? Stop with the hostilities now sweetypie...
Hostilities? Huh? I am married and don't think it is appropriate? You don't call the men on here nicknames? Please, you seem a bit insecure.. "Natasha didn't take my advice sob sob. :rolleyes:"

DJ...

Banned
WTF? Are you doing an imitation of a kugel or something?
No, I got some facemask in my eye and its affecting my posting...

Hostilities? Huh? I am married and don't think it is appropriate? You don't call the men on here nicknames? Please, you seem a bit insecure.. "Natasha didn't take my advice sob sob. :rolleyes:"
Natasha, I was going to continue but they keep going straight over your head, sweety. :p

The force is not so strong with this one, still...

Pitbull

Verboten
No, I got some facemask in my eye and its affecting my posting...

Natasha, I was going to continue but they keep going straight over your head, sweety. :p

The force is not so strong with this one, still...
I think she is serious that you are being intrusive with giving her pet names ;)
I called her one once via PM and now I'm sitting here thinking I might have offended her. If I did natasha I'm sorry and I do appologise. It's just a name I call my other sister in-law who is also Natasha. No harm ment ;)

Natasha H

Expert Member
I think she is serious that you are being intrusive with giving her pet names ;)
I called her one once via PM and now I'm sitting here thinking I might have offended her. If I did natasha I'm sorry and I do appologise. It's just a name I call my other sister in-law who is also Natasha. No harm ment ;)
I don't recall, so definately wasn't offended.. :D

Natasha H

Expert Member
I am always deliberate. Methinks something got a little lost in translation there, honey...

Do you maybe mean belligerent?
The maturity astounds me :) Call me pet names all you want, ok turkey?