Where South Africa's mobile money ends up

ElbowRocket

Only 10% between CellC and TelkomM (the only two I use) wow those other two operators must be ripping people off like crazy.

DXL

Expert Member
Agreed...............

Only 10% between CellC and TelkomM (the only two I use) wow those other two operators must be ripping people off like crazy.

Its easy to show Billions in profit if 35 Million People you serve don't know how much a Cellphone call costs or even how much they should be paying. If you offer ridiculously cheap calls when they don't need it.
But when they need to make that important call it can cost these people as much as R10 for 4 minutes.

A recent quick survey on the street revealed some disastrous answers 7 out of 10 people did not know exactly how much they were paying for their call costs. You answer lies here. People still believe Cellphone calls are expensive.

Also people spend more on Airtime than Food in most African countries.

I am also using Cell-c & Telkom Mobile so I am saving a bit now.

It might end up with the Poorest people in South Africa keeping MTN & Vodacom alive for a very long time.

Which is acceptable if they don't want to save money.

Honestly MTN & Vodacom dont really need to drop call rates at all.
If anything they can increase tariffs and show bigger profits.

Even if they paid R0-35 per minute to Cell-C & Telkom Mobile to terminate calls and they charge their customers R2-50 per minute that is almost R2-15 per minute of profit.

Low Mobile Terminations Rates is great and stimulates Investment in other sectors and areas.

However PRICE CONTROL and REGULATION is even more important.

Hope ICASA CAPS all Telecoms costs in this country.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I am not sure the shareholders will pity the companies if their dividends suddenly cut to shreds.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Reading the title, I thought someone's gona tell us that the money ends up over seas somewhere

krycor

Honorary Master
This just shows how pathetic DoC & ICASA has been over the last decade and a half and why too ;)

TSpeed

Don't worry Alan, my last 2 accounts moving over from Vodacom to cell c end of October. Little less profit to them.

ndlovue6

The problem is the country's education system. MyBB users form 0.1% or less of the population. Just like with the ANC people are afraid of change because they are not educated. Cell C and 8ta will come up with great prices but 90% of the people cannot make educated decisions and vote with their wallets. we need to fix our education if we are to see real competition in the country