Where Telkom's fibre and transmission networks run in South Africa

Genisys

Executive Member
Only 18% FTTH uptake rate. Wonder what the Vumatel uptake is like.

Syphonx

Expert Member
Only 18% FTTH uptake rate. Wonder what the Vumatel uptake is like.
Vumatel and other fibre providers is likely the reason for the 18% uptake, why pay more on OS when you can choose another cheaper provider?

MickeyD

RIP
Vumatel and other fibre providers is likely the reason for the 18% uptake, why pay more on OS when you can choose another cheaper provider?
Not necessarily...

Other NO's target very small, concentrated, lucrative areas whereas Openserve will do the entire suburb and pass more houses in the process.

Genisys

Executive Member
Most people don't get that choice. Most people still have to make do with ADSL as there is no other choice.

Without stats on homes passed and uptake from Vumatel it is pointless arguing this out, as it will mostly be assumptions.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Also the fact that currently OpenServe Fiber is about the same price as ADSL and in some cases it's more expensive to move over to fiber (install fees which are currently waived but at the discretion of the ISP).

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That map does not even tell a tenth of the story.
Maybe I should table the real network diagram?

Only the national rings are reflected. There's still other layers that are too vast to place on such a map.
Yes the actual network is incredibly difficult to show on one diagram.

But what is more interesting are the deviations from the actual network and some obvious errors in the names used and where the nodes are plus terms that very old. Makes one wonder how old this diagram actually is?
For example, WASC is the original name for the WACS cable. The name was never used except on planning diagrams and internal documents in the very early stages of the planning for WACS.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
That map does not even tell a tenth of the story.
OK
I notice the Western Region is pretty empty ( I understand low population density BUT what do all the farmers do ? )
SO where do we find the rest of the story ?????

I did ask MickeyD once upon a time ......

WHERE is the fully populated and detailed map ?
( Something along the lines of the -- do you have coverage fibre maps -- WebAfrica have a nice one )
I know it exists -- fancy -- with all sorts of different layers
What is the secret URL and the password ?

Syphonx

Expert Member
Most people don't get that choice. Most people still have to make do with ADSL as there is no other choice.

Without stats on homes passed and uptake from Vumatel it is pointless arguing this out, as it will mostly be assumptions.
People that only have ADSL aren't part of the uptake statistic. The uptake statistic is for people who have fibre as an option from OS. Although I think uptake stats from areas that have had fibre for more than 6 months would be more interesting.

siraman

Expert Member
Only the national rings are reflected. There's still other layers that are too vast to place on such a map.
Perhaps a broken down one,yeah...to the last dorpie and one can zoom in to specific points on the network?Is there such a map?Or, competition from other network players means we will never get to that stage?

MickeyD

RIP
Perhaps a broken down one,yeah...to the last dorpie and one can zoom in to specific points on the network?Is there such a map?Or, competition from other network players means we will never get to that stage?
Plenty of Fibre in and around Mthatha

Yuu

Executive Member
Nothing in our town too :crying:.

Why they don't just hook us up into their tower, it already gives us upto 60Mbps/24Mbps odd any time of the day/night. :D

MickeyD

RIP
Nothing in our town too :crying:.

Why they don't just hook us up into their tower, it already gives us upto 60Mbps/24Mbps odd any time of the day/night. :D
At least one 144F connecting Stanger to the outside world (Tongaat, etc) :p

Yuu

Executive Member
LOL!! What does that mean Uncle MickeyD :D? 144F :)

/educate me wiseman.

Edit: 24F to 144F

Multi Loose Tube Cable 144-fibre OM2 50/125 PE

Sounds small :p

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Short answer to all questions about how pervasive Telkom's fibre network is if there is an exchange or concentrator in your town then there is at least 2 fibre routes connecting that town to the network.

That is why I generally do not agree with the publication of network diagrams of this sort unless they are complete and up to date.

The network now exceeds the infamous 144 000 km figure of a few years ago which in itself was already a pretty poor figure.

It just triggers off all sorts of useless debates

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
LOL!! What does that mean Uncle MickeyD :D? 144F :)

/educate me wiseman.

Edit: 24F to 144F

Multi Loose Tube Cable 144-fibre OM2 50/125 PE

Sounds small :p
144F small? hehehehe

Depending on the equipment on both sides of that cable, you could probably have carried all international traffic between SA and Europe on it a few years ago.