Where to buy a Tea plant (to make green tea)?

tetrasect

Expert Member
Anyone know where one can buy a tea plant or alternatively seeds?

I'm looking for the "Chinese" variety "Camellia sinensis var. sinensis" which is tolerant of lower temperatures (as opposed to the Indian variety which produces bigger yields but is not as hardy).

According to this article, tea is grown in Limpopo, Kwazulu-Natal, Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga but I can't find much more info online.

Would be nice to be able to just pick a few leaves, let them dry and enjoy a cup of super fresh green tea...

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I know of plantations on the south coast of KZN, never seen a tea plant for sale at any nurseries though.

maumau

Honorary Master

I'm looking for the "Chinese" variety "Camellia sinensis var. sinensis" which is tolerant of lower temperatures (as opposed to the Indian variety which produces bigger yields but is not as hardy).

According to this article, tea is grown in Limpopo, Kwazulu-Natal, Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga but I can't find much more info online.

Would be nice to be able to just pick a few leaves, let them dry and enjoy a cup of super fresh green tea...

Isn't that the normal camelia sold at nurseries?

Supersoaker

Try the Wuhan province in China.

tetrasect

Expert Member
Isn't that the normal camelia sold at nurseries?

Which nurseries? There are many Camellia species, I've only seen the ones with the red/pink flowers being sold.

The tea plant has flowers that look like this:
camellia-sinensis.gif

Last edited:

maumau

Honorary Master
@tetrasect I don't know if they have stock but this one claims to sell the tea version:

tetrasect

Expert Member
@tetrasect I don't know if they have stock but this one claims to sell the tea version:

Thanks, I did see that... Unfortunately the huge list of plants on that website seems to be there for information purposes only, as they don't actually stock most of them.

maumau

Honorary Master
Thanks, I did see that... Unfortunately the huge list of plants on that website seems to be there for information purposes only, as they don't actually stock most of them.

Maybe phone Lifestyle Garden Centre (011 792 5616) for advice, if they can't help JJ at Garden World (011 957 2046) is a horticulturist.