Where to buy cheap 2nd hand tyres?

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
I sold the code 3 Terios and bought a 1998 Ford Fiesta. I assume the car has 13" or 14" wheels. No sure. But the tyres are done. Where can I get good quality second hand tyres in PTA? I heard from some people that I can get tyres at R100 - R150 per tyre with 3/4 of the tread intact.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Your better off making debt and buying new tyres. Second hand tyres are a no-go area along with retreads.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
About how much will new tyres cost me? 13 or 14". Where are the CHEAPEST ones?

spiderz

Honorary Master
Check the current size of the tyres you have.
Call Tiger Wheel and Tyre and get a price on a new set.
Now you have a price to work with. Now you you can try and find cheaper tyres.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I heard from some people that I can get tyres at R100 - R150 per tyre with 3/4 of the tread intact.
Surely they would know where to buy them with that advice? but yeah sorry mate... new tyres are always safer but retreads are what you can consider.

Last edited:

spiderz

Honorary Master
gumtree & Junkmail.
Maybe look for someone selling a full set of wheel with tyres.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Drove past some place on Friday, can't for the life of me remember where it was though (glanced up from reading and saw various signs stating Useable tyres, R149).

Ecco

Executive Member
Side of the road? I seen people selling - but i think they are stolen.
Maybe consider retreads - probably just as bad a buying second hand tires, but at least a little better.

chrisc

Executive Member
Many car repair places will have second hand tyres. There are 3 near where I live, but unfortunately for you it is in Cape Town

Grimspoon

Executive Member
Tuxedo junction on Louis Botha avenue sell retreads for cheap, but seriously man, of all things, you shouldn't be skimping on tyres.

patrick

Expert Member
I sold the code 3 Terios and bought a 1998 Ford Fiesta. I assume the car has 13" or 14" wheels. No sure. But the tyres are done. Where can I get good quality second hand tyres in PTA? I heard from some people that I can get tyres at R100 - R150 per tyre with 3/4 of the tread intact.
Just get a pocket knife and cut some new tread :D

No seriously, beg/borrow/steal but rather get new tyres. Ok please don't steal, rather walk then.

grim

Expert Member
There's a place on the corner of Fred Nicholson and Dry Ave that sells 2nd hand tyres, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you really can't afford new ones.

If you're going to buy 2nd hand ones try to find 4 or at least the 2 going on in the front that are the same and really have a good look at the tyres for any cracks or damage to the sidewalls.

fourijm

Second hand tyres

Your better off making debt and buying new tyres. Second hand tyres are a no-go area along with retreads.
I know a place at 2nd Flower st. Capitol Park Pretoria. Google for "2 flower st pretoria"
If new tyres not too expensive (try malas tyres Pretoria) go for new. If new tyres like R5000, consider second hand but make sure they fit and balance, and can proof there is no flat spots(from hard braking) or other defects. Make sure there is a warranty. (Cash and carry is not a good idea.)
Sometimes car owners just want fancy new tyres and get rid of the the old ones. Make sure at least 50% tread left, otherwise in a few months, you will be shopping for tyres again. New car tyres has 8mm tread (some off road tyres has deeper tread.) Usable tread is 8mm-1.6mm=6.4 mm. Less than 1.6 mm is against the law.