Where to buy in the Cape Town area?

Ghost02

Expert Member
Hi all,
I'm thinking about purchasing a home in the next few months around the Cape Town area. I'd prefer to be about 20 (without traffic) minutes from Town as that's where I'll be working. I'm partially remote and work very flexible hours so I should be able to drive out of rush hour most of the time.

I currently live in Vredehoek in a flat that I rent but would like something bigger and I'm willing to drive a bit to get something bigger. My budget is around R3.5mil and I'm looking for a 3 bed.

I'm currently considering Royal Ascot / Milnerton Ridge - does anyone have experience with these areas? I've also looked at the Southern Suburbs but the places going for R3.5mil look a bit shabby.

Ghost02

Expert Member
Thanks! I'll have a look at listings in Pinelands and the Northern Suburbs.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Come to Brackenfell, buy a palace :D

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Northern suburbs:
Boston
Welgelegen
Welgemoed
Plattekloof
Panorama
Parow north
Edgemead
Bothasig

All of the above 20 minutes drive to town with no traffic and you will do very well for 3.5mil in these areas..

You can also do Southern Subs within 20mins of town without traffic.

Ghost02

Expert Member
I had a look in the southern suburbs and it looked like that price would either get me something very small or the wrong side of town but I should probably look more deeply

nazmo

Expert Member
We bought in Rondebosch close to that amount, ok a bit more. was surprised, 4 bedroom, pool. 20 mins into town, leafy subarbs, 3 roads from the common

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
if you want nice land and good houses for that budget look at nothern suburbs close to the n1

but if you need to get to work and you get traffic its bad

bellville parow goodwood plattekloof all have huge properties

souther suburbs you wont get close to that for value for money

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
We bought in Rondebosch close to that amount, ok a bit more. was surprised, 4 bedroom, pool. 20 mins into town, leafy subarbs, 3 roads from the common

4.5m or so are houses close to the common

WAslayer

Executive Member
I had a look in the southern suburbs and it looked like that price would either get me something very small or the wrong side of town but I should probably look more deeply
Nah, that pretty much sums up the southern suburbs, no need to look any deeper..

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Come to Brackenfell, buy a palace :D

This. Great value for money this side...

Brawler

Honorary Master
3.5M should be fine for SS. Perhaps not Rondebosch.
What about Bergvliet or Kirstenhof? Lovely homes and area is a lot prettier / greener than the northern subs mentioned.
Not sure it concerns you but NS is also a lot more Afrikaans where SS is English.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Also regarding traffic, once covid is over and we return to office, I find the SS M3 traffic much more bearable than the N1 disaster. It's still no joke but I have done both and the N1 is painful.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Also regarding traffic, once covid is over and we return to office, I find the SS M3 traffic much more bearable than the N1 disaster. It's still no joke but I have done both and the N1 is painful.
This, n1 traffic is the worst! Personally would love to buy a property in the northern suburbs but that n1 traffic is what puts me off.

WAslayer

Executive Member
This, n1 traffic is the worst! Personally would love to buy a property in the northern suburbs but that n1 traffic is what puts me off.
But you don't even have a office location and can visit sites after 9am if it's that side of the world..

I need you in the Northern suburbs..

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
But you don't even have a office location and can visit sites after 9am if it's that side of the world..

I need you in the Northern suburbs..
Yes, but I have a daughter who attends school in the cbd... so northern wont see right now.

Also since you made it about me lol, most of my sites are in the southern suburbs. Right now its actually perfect for me as I go in the opposite direction of traffic when I head to or from your places.

Off topic: I'm coming to your place with a charger connected to me tomorrow lol