Where to buy PC componenets for South Africans?

mike.399

Hi,

So it is finally time for my new PC build. I am looking at spending a fair amount, around 20 - 24k.

I have looked at quite a few S.A. sites to compare prices, and looked at Amazon.com as an option as well (have a friend who recently used amazon prime to acquire most of his components). He claimed his Amazon build was about R7000 less than comparable builds on SA sites (rebeltech and evetech). Then including the $150 (R2000) for duties / shipping, it is still about R5000 cheaper to buy foreign.

I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any other sellers I could look at? Or has experience with Amazon (I am skeptical of importing costs / damages to the parts).

Any useful advice will be appreciated, thanks.

vavyn

Wootware would be my first choice.
Alternatively you could try Rebeltech

ponder

Honorary Master
rebeltech, wootware, gtx gaming, mineaway, carbonite.

Stay away from evetech, they have their own horrors thread here.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
If you can get some components significantly cheaper via Amazon just do it, I've had a few things shipped from them when it's either much much cheaper or the item is not available locally.

If the price is just slightly cheaper it's probably easier just going locally though, however when something is like >R1000 cheaper off Amazon then I wouldn't hesitate.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
If you can get some components significantly cheaper via Amazon just do it, I've had a few things shipped from them when it's either much much cheaper or the item is not available locally.

If the price is just slightly cheaper it's probably easier just going locally though, however when something is like >R1000 cheaper off Amazon then I wouldn't hesitate.

Warranty though.

Thor

Honorary Master

Who do you use?

I've only shipped from them twice.

1st time the package got "lost" at customs ie stolen.

2nd time I was asked for a bribe at Doane (no idea how to spell it) if I want to see my package before Xmas that was in April 2015.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Who do you use?

I've only shipped from them twice.

1st time the package got "lost" at customs ie stolen.

2nd time I was asked for a bribe at Doane (no idea how to spell it) if I want to see my package before Xmas that was in April 2015.

Amazon.com and .co.uk.

I've made 7 orders between them in the last 6 months and they've all arrived very quickly. I think only 2 of them I had to pay customs duties myself (it's usually included with the final price).

RedViking

Nord of the South
I bought my 'latest' (Last year) PC via Evetech on Black Friday. Got it about 3 days later. Core i7 6700K, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, EVO 250GB SSD, NZXT H440 Gaming Case, Hyper 212X Cooler, GTX 1070, Antec 750 Gold for 20K. At that point I also compared priced with Wootware, Rebeltech, Computersonly etc.
Have never had issues with them. Have done a couple of replacements under warranty for previous sales without issues. Their website is also very user friendly to build a custom PC. You can also just write down the components and compare prices with other websites mentioned above.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There is absolutely no reason to be sceptical of Amazon.

Their service and returns policies are excellent IF there is even an issue which is unlikely.

R5000 is R5000.