Where to get a job if you don't know anyone?

Bresder

Looking for a sales or customers service entry level position. Minimum wage and above to get my feet wet.
Have a Matric now. Job hunting has been no response or rejections. I've partially given up on some portals beacause they're saturated but I still try now and then. Now I don't know what to do anymore.

Location is Johannesburg if anyone is willing to help. I tried applying for the paid apprenticeship but nothing there too. Applied to over 50 Jobs and only call I got was from one of those (shady) small marketing companies or should I call them sales companies.

I just want to get some consistent income and get out of this depression loop.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Yeah no its difficult out there mate, does it have to be in sales? Perhaps just take what you can get for now and go from there.

Bresder

Yeah no its difficult out there mate, does it have to be in sales? Perhaps just take what you can get for now and go from there.
No it doesn't have to be in sales. I just don't want to end up getting a job because I'm too desperate then up being in a cycle of being used.

HunterNW

Executive Member
No it doesn't have to be in sales. I just don't want to end up getting a job because I'm too desperate then up being in a cycle of being used.
You will get used in all the jobs out there.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Looking for a sales or customers service entry level position. Minimum wage and above to get my feet wet.
Have a Matric now. Job hunting has been no response or rejections. I've partially given up on some portals beacause they're saturated but I still try now and then. Now I don't know what to do anymore.

Location is Johannesburg if anyone is willing to help. I tried applying for the paid apprenticeship but nothing there too. Applied to over 50 Jobs and only call I got was from one of those (shady) small marketing companies or should I call them sales companies.

Also look outside GP, like in NW, L and MP; especially industrial towns. Be prepared to get your hands dirty and handle garbage from obnoxious people.

Kepler186f

Yeah things are very tough right now. Completed my qualification in March and still can't find anything. Im at a point where im applying for anything right now. Wish you all the best, unemployment is a b***h.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Guys it tough out there.
Trust me, even an experienced professional in most fields will find it difficult to find work nowadays.
Sometimes these career sites can get frustrating.
Have you guys tried walking into companies and physically handing in your CV. Not all companies may accept this, but it's worth a try.
Try to get the contact details of the HR in a particular company. Call and make an appointment to do a presentation and market yourself.
Have to be proactive these days.
Good luck

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict

Silly question, but seeing as you're not finding anything,have you considered upskilling yourself? Plenty of online courses available in development, and the country is hurting for devs, so do some courses, get a portfolio and you'll probably find yourself with something before the year is done.

Or try one of the coding bootcamps such as wethinkcode or the others. It helps if you're picking something, to pick somewhere that there is demand.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Silly question, but seeing as you're not finding anything,have you considered upskilling yourself? Plenty of online courses available in development, and the country is hurting for devs, so do some courses, get a portfolio and you'll probably find yourself with something before the year is done.

Or try one of the coding bootcamps such as wethinkcode or the others. It helps if you're picking something, to pick somewhere that there is demand.
What developer jobs you rate are most in demand? I am stuck between python and web development.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
What developer jobs you rate are most in demand? I am stuck between python and web development.
Between the two. Python. Opens up full stack dev. Web devs are a dime a dozen - if you're really good you'll still make good money as web dev, but similar skills, python pays more. Plus remote and global opportunities are more wide spread.