Where to go next after MS Access - Need some advise

WillieRas

Hi All.

I need some advise on where to go next. I have been using MS Access for the past 5 years to build a custom database for myself in the transport industry mainly to make tedious tasks easier and mainly to centralize information and to easily pull reports and information.

As mentioned, i work in the transport industry and my database have grown quite a bit to include items like, bus schedules, time tables, quotations, employee records, disciplinary records, stock control etc. I am by no means a professional database designer and created this monstrosity of a database thought watching tutorials and googling for the VBA code to do some automation tasks.

This Access database worked very well until now and still does, but i would like to take it to the next step and make the information available to me while mobile. Access have the ability to create web databases but the hosting on SharePoint is too much of a hastle. I would like advise on self study routes to create a web app based on my own database as mentioned above in the form of maybe a MySql database at the back and a front end language to learn to be able to build and program the forms, reports, queries, etc. There are so many to choose from but still i am not sure what language will suite what i want to do the best and at the same time will not be too difficult for me to start learning.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

OCP

Expert Member
I am probably going to get blasted for this but MySQL/mariaDB + PHP or equivalent scripting for HTML frontend?

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
PHP and MySQL would probably be the easiest and cheapest (free) to get up and running and learning.

vic777

Expert Member
PHP and MySQL works well together. You can also look at PostgreSQL

Batista

Executive Member
Hi All.

I need some advise on where to go next. I have been using MS Access for the past 5 years to build a custom database for myself in the transport industry mainly to make tedious tasks easier and mainly to centralize information and to easily pull reports and information.

As mentioned, i work in the transport industry and my database have grown quite a bit to include items like, bus schedules, time tables, quotations, employee records, disciplinary records, stock control etc. I am by no means a professional database designer and created this monstrosity of a database thought watching tutorials and googling for the VBA code to do some automation tasks.

This Access database worked very well until now and still does, but i would like to take it to the next step and make the information available to me while mobile. Access have the ability to create web databases but the hosting on SharePoint is too much of a hastle. I would like advise on self study routes to create a web app based on my own database as mentioned above in the form of maybe a MySql database at the back and a front end language to learn to be able to build and program the forms, reports, queries, etc. There are so many to choose from but still i am not sure what language will suite what i want to do the best and at the same time will not be too difficult for me to start learning.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

I could build a mobile frontend for you and validate your existing db structure.Otherwise you can always go onto youtube and do tutorials.