Where to study to become a billionaire

cguy

Expert Member
And here's me thinking one doesn't have to study anything, because Gates, Jobs and Zuckerberg...

Knyro

Honorary Master
And here's me thinking one doesn't have to study anything, because Gates, Jobs and Zuckerberg...
I still can't help but notice that a disproportionate amount of ridiculously successful Americans are associated in some way or another with the same handful of universities. Even dropouts like Gates and Zuckerberg. Now obviously given the US population there must be a lot of other super smart people who didn't go to them too.

Is this an effect of some kind of old boys club centred around them?

If so, is the average American aware of it? How do they feel about it?

Baise

University of Nkandla

MBA's in corruption / nepotism / swindling etc etc

cguy

Expert Member
I still can't help but notice that a disproportionate amount of ridiculously successful Americans are associated in some way or another with the same handful of universities. Even dropouts like Gates and Zuckerberg. Now obviously given the US population there must be a lot of other super smart people who didn't go to them too.

I don't think that it was an old boys club thing, but having a wealthy background and being smart were definitely big factors (poorer smart students are less likely to try their hand at entrepreneurship), as well as just the general tech networking exposure one gets from being at one of the top universities. I still think that the right idea at the right place at the right time is a much bigger factor, but the other factors help explain why they are more likely to be in such a place and time.

animal531

Expert Member

There's another study that shows that the majority of tech hires in SF is NOT coming from their top N universities.

krycor

Honorary Master

It's the way the world is skewed.. but don't worry, a massive recorrection is underway. Trump is gonna make the US go broke.

cguy

Expert Member
There's another study that shows that the majority of tech hires in SF is NOT coming from their top N universities.
This isn't surprising at all. Firstly, many of the graduates from the top schools will go into finance, which is based in NY and Chicago. Secondly, there is a relatively small finite number of them, so they couldn't possibly make up a majority of the SF workforce regardless.

Genisys

Executive Member
Good, but now, what should I study? I know where to study now, so that isn't an issue anymore.