Where would you look to buy a second-hand vehicle?

Where would you look to buy a second-hand vehicle?

• AutoTrader

Votes: 74 54.8%
  • WeBuyCars

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • Cars.co.za

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • AutoPedigree

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Motus

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Surf4Cars.co.za

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • AutoMart

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Private Dealers

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • Other

Votes: 32 23.7%

• Total voters

MartinGB

MyBroadband Staff
Staff member
If you were in the market for a second-hand vehicle, where would you start looking?

Brian_G

Executive Member
JunkMail, then would look further. Unless you want something fancy..

airborne

Honorary Master
JunkMail, then would look further. Unless you want something fancy..
Is that dinosaur still a thing?
I tried looking there a few years back and not much was going on, most ads were old or just one or 2 dealer spamming the whole section.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Is that dinosaur still a thing?
I tried looking there a few years back and not much was going on, most ads were old or just one or 2 dealer spamming the whole section.
Long established doesn't mean dinosaur. Often lots of good deals with everything I look for. Sometimes quiet, sure.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Good deals on what kind of stuff?
Off topic, but anything from decoders to PC sales to you name it. But haven't bought a car from them TBH... although my current car is from a similar marketplace.

eg2505

Honorary Master
strange we dont have something like autotempest.com locally in SA, that ties a lot of sites together like We buy Junk and Scamtree.

but I guess, stable electricity is still a new thing for a majority of the population.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Check your votes, guys. I voted for "Other", then "Private Dealers" was added and my vote became that somehow :oops:

Alert: @MartinGB

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I only buy from a dealer in that vehicle to evade issues down the road.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
Direct from the dealer.

e.g If Im looking at a VW ill walk into the 3 dealerships near me and test drive what im interested in and take it from there

maxxis

Expert Member
I have an agent that does all the work for me. He is connected with various private sellers as well as dealers and will source me anything I want within my budget.

The seller covers his costs. He has also sold a couple of vehicles for me before.

Tman543

Wheres Facebook Market and Gumtree?

Second hand vehicles are a hit or miss if you don't know your story. Thats why WeBuyCars are making a killing. Still same situation but atleast you trust the brand enough hoping you wont be ripped off.

chrisc

Honorary Master
I have a friend who runs 3 used car garages in Goodwood/Parow. Can always rely on him to get good stuff

Last one was a 2018 Honda CRV for R280k. Deceased estate
In 2013 bought a Honda Civic for my wife. R190k and had done 19000km. One wonders why such new cars come on the market