Which affordable and reliable ADSL router shoud I buy?

KingAuthor

I am going the Naked DSL road and I want to buy an affordable router that will connect up to 5 devices. I've seen routers from R100 to a few thousand rands but I'm not sure which one is good for me.

Which router can you suggest?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I recently got my mum that is on 10Mbps pure DSL this device. At R137 with free courier fee it's pretty cheap.

The router works well for the price. I wasn't expecting much but 2.4GHz wifi which is the only band it supports works as expected. 100Mbps network ports work well. 10Mbps ADSL isn't high speeds anyways so you won't need a something powerful unless you want 20Mbps or higher then I will suggest looking for a VDSL router.

KingAuthor

I recently got my mum that is on 10Mbps pure DSL this device. At R137 with free courier fee it's pretty cheap.

The router works well for the price. I wasn't expecting much but 2.4GHz wifi which is the only band it supports works as expected. 100Mbps network ports work well. 10Mbps ADSL isn't high speeds anyways so you won't need a something powerful unless you want 20Mbps or higher then I will suggest looking for a VDSL router.

Thank,s for the reply. Much appreciated.

How long did you wait for the delivery?

And also, what pure DSL provider did you use? And what kind of installations were made?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thank,s for the reply. Much appreciated.

How long did you wait for the delivery?

And also, what pure DSL provider did you use? And what kind of installations were made?

I think it took about 3 days or so but I'm in Centurion so might be the reason. Was delivered by Globeflight directly from Mustek.

I use Afrihost 10Mbps Pure DSL. It actually R397 now which is not bad but Vox and Axxess is a few rands cheaper if you want to go for that.

Openserve just called to make an appointment. The tech came on the appointment date. My mum already had copper wires on the wall jack inside the flate so they just installed a termination box and then left. He came back 20min later said it's done plug the modem in and it was syncing at 10Mbps right away.

KingAuthor

I think it took about 3 days or so but I'm in Centurion so might be the reason. Was delivered by Globeflight directly from Mustek.

I use Afrihost 10Mbps Pure DSL. It actually R397 now which is not bad but Vox and Axxess is a few rands cheaper if you want to go for that.

Openserve just called to make an appointment. The tech came on the appointment date. My mum already had copper wires on the wall jack inside the flate so they just installed a termination box and then left. He came back 20min later said it's done plug the modem in and it was syncing at 10Mbps right away.
Do you know if there is any drilling or something like that? Because I'm currently renting a cottage and would like to inform my landlord.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Do you know if there is any drilling or something like that? Because I'm currently renting a cottage and would like to inform my landlord.

If there is no line currently installed I'm not sure if they will pull a new cable but possible.

If the cables are Aerial then likely no drilling required if the cable is trenched they might need to trench.

I think maybe get the order in first and see what Openserve say in terms of installation.

Corelli

Expert Member
Get the Telkom one 2nd hand. The Dlink with 2 antennas (not the 2740 or 2750u. Cant remember the model name. But it supports both dsl and fibre.

Raphael123

Expert Member
I am going the Naked DSL road and I want to buy an affordable router that will connect up to 5 devices. I've seen routers from R100 to a few thousand rands but I'm not sure which one is good for me.

Which router can you suggest?
IPM me i have a D-Link router if you interested in taking it out my hands.