Which Bakkie would you suggest?

qscwbt

Expert Member
The South African favorite.

My SUV has to be replaced and as its used for work in need a bakkie. I am looking at a 2 -3 year old vehicle with less that a 100 000 km. Double cab as it will be work and family car.

My options would be

Ranger 2.2
Izuzu 250 or 300
Hilux d4d or a GD6

Hilux most expensive but will drive forever. Ranger is most affordable but really concerned with well being ford.
Izuzu are bulletproof but interiors look like the 70s and for some reason cabin noise is very high.

Budget is important but i need something i can drive for the next 10 years.

Any input suggestion?

skanky

Nissan bringing out a new single cab bakkie Navara. Slick bang for your buck.

Budza

Executive Member
A mate had to get a club-cab bakkie for tax reasons- are you sure a double cab works for company use?

Would family fit into club cab?

I have no idea what the reasoning is behind club-cab, but worth noting if applicable.

epah

Expert Member
only two work bakkies on the market, Hilux and Isuzu.

You can however get a ranger if you like blowing pistons, gearboxes or turbos every now and then.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
That's a sobering reminder, thank you, but you have to admit, that for a cash-strapped individual, the NP300 DC, whilst relatively dated (28 years) in design and safety features, presents remarkable value, in the same way that the VW Beetle did for centuries. Personally, with the high cost of vehicles in SA, I'm not going to judge anyone that chooses it on price alone.
It can be argued that the recent NCAP tests are a bit unfair: the Nissan NP300 design is 90's, designed in 1993, debut in 1996 and 30 years later (after millions sold) they are called out for poor safety? A comparative safety test of the 1996 Ford Courier, Toyota Hilux, and Mazda B-series bakkies would be in order, but we cannot, because they have 3-year product lifecycles. :unsure: To put this into perspective, 28 years is the same time that the ANC took to completely destroy every single institution that was working well in this country.

@OP I would check out some of the newer Chinese alternatives in addition to the Nissan offerings (a low-mileage 1-2 yr old Navara?). A broad mind is important, and the status associated with premium brands, especially in the vehicle sector, is overrated IMHO. There are some very interesting options from both JAC as well as GWM that may offer contemporary safety specs, albeit with poor fuel consumption figures and a longevity risk (currently unknown).

WAslayer

Executive Member
That's a sobering reminder, thank you, but you have to admit, that for a cash-strapped individual, the NP300 DC, whilst relatively dated (28 years) in design and safety features, presents remarkable value, in the same way that the VW Beetle did for centuries. Personally, with the high cost of vehicles in SA, I'm not going to judge anyone that chooses it on price alone.
It can be argued that the recent NCAP tests are a bit unfair: the Nissan NP300 design is 90's, designed in 1993, debut in 1996 and 30 years later (after millions sold) they are called out for poor safety? A comparative safety test of the 1996 Ford Courier, Toyota Hilux, and Mazda B-series bakkies would be in order, but we cannot, because they have 3-year product lifecycles. :unsure: To put this into perspective, 28 years is the same time that the ANC took to completely destroy every single institution that was working well in this country.

@OP I would check out some of the newer Chinese alternatives in addition to the Nissan offerings (a low-mileage 1-2 yr old Navara?). A broad mind is important, and the status associated with premium brands, especially in the vehicle sector, is overrated IMHO. There are some very interesting options from both JAC as well as GWM that may offer contemporary safety specs, albeit with poor fuel consumption figures and a longevity risk (currently unknown).
Since OP wants something they can drive for the next 10 years and longevity is not known on JAC or GWM, that puts them out of consideration.. I agree, they offer great value in comparison to the established brands and when I am able to, I am most definitely jumping into a P series..

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
Since OP wants something they can drive for the next 10 years and longevity is not known on JAC or GWM, that puts them out of consideration.. I agree, they offer great value in comparison to the established brands and when I am able to, I am most definitely jumping into a P series..
I guess that leaves one Japanese brand over then...

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
2.4 GD6 with a lekker tune.

With toyota you get 10 years easily, with a ford you lucky to make it out the warranty peroid without an engine or gearbox swap.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with the Navara, if he has money for the GD6 he has money for the previous Navara, better safety spec that the Toyota, that's important for a family car.

Plus it's also a chance to be different.

Craig_

Honorary Master
only two work bakkies on the market, Hilux and Isuzu.

You can however get a ranger if you like blowing pistons, gearboxes or turbos every now and then.

I've heard this many times, but we've got 6 3.2 rangers here at work, 4 d4d hilux's, a 9 yo old base amarok and numerous other older bakkies, not a single one of these bakkies has given any issues. And these vehicles gets driven with zero mechanical sympathy, the only two stand outs was the the amarok that had rear diff issues (driven on tar with diff lock on) and 2 of the hilux's that had some maintenance done on them, non of them had broken down or given any issues worth noting. So my suggestion would to go test drive those on your list and buy the one you like the most. Chances are you won't have issues with any of them. This, and any brand can give you a lemon, even the mighty toyota.

I forgot about the Navara, this one had lots of issues, nice bakkie with high fuel consumption, I wouldn't buy it as a personal vehicle though.