Which Bakkie would you suggest?

Craig_

Honorary Master
only two work bakkies on the market, Hilux and Isuzu.

You can however get a ranger if you like blowing pistons, gearboxes or turbos every now and then.

I've heard this many times, but we've got 6 3.2 rangers here at work, 4 d4d hilux's, a 9 yo old base amarok and numerous other older bakkies, not a single one of these bakkies has given any issues. And these vehicles gets driven with zero mechanical sympathy, the only two stand outs was the the amarok that had rear diff issues (driven on tar with diff lock on) and 2 of the hilux's that had some maintenance done on them, non of them had broken down or given any issues worth noting. So my suggestion would to go test drive those on your list and buy the one you like the most. Chances are you won't have issues with any of them. This, and any brand can give you a lemon, even the mighty toyota.

I forgot about the Navara, this one had lots of issues, nice bakkie with high fuel consumption, I wouldn't buy it as a personal vehicle though.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I've heard this many times, but we've got 6 3.2 rangers here at work, 4 d4d hilux's, a 9 yo old base amarok and numerous other older bakkies, not a single one of these bakkies has given any issues. And these vehicles gets driven with zero mechanical sympathy, the only two stand outs was the the amarok that had rear diff issues (driven on tar with diff lock on) and 2 of the hilux's that had some maintenance done on them, non of them had broken down or given any issues worth noting. So my suggestion would to go test drive those on your list and buy the one you like the most. Chances are you won't have issues with any of them. This, and any brand can give you a lemon, even the mighty toyota.

I forgot about the Navara, this one had lots of issues, nice bakkie with high fuel consumption, I wouldn't buy it as a personal vehicle though.

yeah, a lot of noise about Ford with no personal experience to back it up...

Of course, there will be examples of mechanical failure out there, but that holds true for any brand.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The only issue with the Ranger is having to come out to your family.

Toyota D4D is spartan inside compared to the gd6.
Talking about coming out or staying in, I have never seen any dangling balls on a Ranger, it looks like a Hilux thing.

Whright

Expert Member
You must have missed the part where OP said he is on a budget and looking for two to three year old bakkie max..

No way you getting one of these within those parameters on a budget....
True, however he is also looking for something that will last 10 years and longer.

epah

Expert Member

Purchase a second hand Land cruiser LC 79 double cab. Thank me later.

View attachment 1143332
Arent these more expensive second hand compared to new?

Drifter

Honorary Master
only two work bakkies on the market, Hilux and Isuzu.

You can however get a ranger if you like blowing pistons, gearboxes or turbos every now and then.
Ag, Bull sheet. That is 10 years ago, or more. Ater the Kuga fire nonsense, every Ford is popping pistons. They are strong cars and very reliable. Like any other brans, there are a few cars with issues.

epah

Expert Member
Ag, Bull sheet. That is 10 years ago, or more. Ater the Kuga fire nonsense, every Ford is popping pistons. They are strong cars and very reliable. Like any other brans, there are a few cars with issues.
Alright, go buy a ford and report back from the side of the road.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I am on my 3rd Ford. Go figure. My previous one I traded in on 160K Km's, one clutch, one battery and a reverse light globe. My current one will hit 200K km's soon, one battery, and a few rims due to frigging potholes. I guess I never got the memo.

Craig_

Honorary Master

Not one of those 6 Rangers had been stuck on the road yet, all at over 100k km on the clock, two with over 200k km. As with any vehicle you get problem cars.

Zophos

Expert Member
My go to when choosing a bakkie is always Tupperware®

Dishwasher safe and years of service....

qscwbt

Expert Member
Thanks All for the input. I will report back as I am busy looking at what is available.
Will go test drive a few and see what I like.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Thank you for everyone's honest opinions.
Ok so I test drove my top 3 bakkies on my list. a Decision was made and today I am picking my 'new" secondhand 2019 Isuzu Dmax 250 HO High rider double cab. Will see tonight if it fits my garage : -)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Good choice. That Isuzu 2.5 is an extremely understressed motor & should have excellent longevity.