Which bank is your primary account with?

Which bank is your primary account with?

• FNB

Votes: 139 38.8%
  • Capitec

Votes: 44 12.3%
  • Standard Bank

Votes: 47 13.1%
  • Absa

Votes: 45 12.6%
  • Discovery Bank

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Nedbank

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • TymeBank

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Investec

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • Bank Zero

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters
Struggled 3 times this morning just to pay my municipal bill
Have to rename accounts just to make them appear at the top when making payments else I'll pay out of my CC and incur additional charges
Every time I open the app I have to agree to this:
1536436-b1cc8b73b3d2a23db3190c51ae270487.jpg

The online chat help doesn't work and keeps jumping you around
Setting up an app pin is broken
Apple Watch app doesn't work
App is bloated with zillions of submenus and navigating out of them takes you back to the home page and not the page you were just on
Home page customizations get reset and you can't save it so it's useless
Can't stop email notifications even though I have in app notifications turned on (have to make the notification amount some high amount)
You need to jump through hoops to receive ebucks
Paying your account fees with ebucks you have to do it manually monthly
I had to create a Premier current account and a separate credit card. A week later I could upgrade to a fusion account and cut up my card
FNB connect runs on Cell C and doesn't work in malls. Can't claim ebucks voucher if you're on FNB connect at the counter lol
Virtual Credit Card CVV reset every 10 minutes so you have to open the app everytime you pay someone new
The date you actually get ebucks is all over the show. Is it the 10th? or 18th?
Some investments they still physically mail out the statement and you have to call them up to cancel it
Transferring between accounts still requires a reference like it's 1980
I could go on and on.

Edit:
To change your in contact number you have to call them up. It's different from the one you can just change on internet banking.
Such a long list of functionality you've used and they're not even your primary bank? :whistling:

That seems like a terrible experience... why are you punishing yourself? Or do you like paying for stuff that doesn't work?

Last edited:
Such a long list of functionality you've used and they're not even your primary bank? :whistling:

That seems like a terrible experience... why are you punishing yourself? Or do you like paying for stuff that doesn't work?
I get an R80 overpriced Kauai protein smoothie for free. Winning!

Struggled 3 times this morning just to pay my municipal bill
Have to rename accounts just to make them appear at the top when making payments else I'll pay out of my CC and incur additional charges
Every time I open the app I have to agree to this:
1536436-b1cc8b73b3d2a23db3190c51ae270487.jpg

The online chat help doesn't work and keeps jumping you around
Setting up an app pin is broken
Apple Watch app doesn't work
App is bloated with zillions of submenus and navigating out of them takes you back to the home page and not the page you were just on
Home page customizations get reset and you can't save it so it's useless
Can't stop email notifications even though I have in app notifications turned on (have to make the notification amount some high amount)
You need to jump through hoops to receive ebucks
Paying your account fees with ebucks you have to do it manually monthly
I had to create a Premier current account and a separate credit card. A week later I could upgrade to a fusion account and cut up my card
FNB connect runs on Cell C and doesn't work in malls. Can't claim ebucks voucher if you're on FNB connect at the counter lol
Virtual Credit Card CVV reset every 10 minutes so you have to open the app everytime you pay someone new
The date you actually get ebucks is all over the show. Is it the 10th? or 18th?
Some investments they still physically mail out the statement and you have to call them up to cancel it
Transferring between accounts still requires a reference like it's 1980
I could go on and on.

Edit:
To change your in contact number you have to call them up. It's different from the one you can just change on internet banking.
Wow, okay, quite a list, thanks.

I don't seem to have many of these problems, or I just don't let them bother me.

I am so used to agreeing to the page when you open the app, it is just doesn't bother me.

I have given up on ebucks. Seems to me the deeper you get into debt, the more ebucks you earn. I try my best to stay out of overdraft and credit card facilities. Used to save my ebucks to buy something I really wanted, but didn't want to fork out the cash for, like console games or my nerdy collectables. Last time I spent ebucks must have been two or more years ago to pay for my daughters Christmas present. I suppose I have quite a stash now.

Putting in a reference when transferring between accounts is really not that much trouble for me. I will normally just type "tf" or "trans", even though I mean "transferring some of my christmas bonus to my savings account so I don't accidentally spend it on beer, and then I can't pay my kids' school fees in January".

Although I set up a virtual card last year, I have never used it. The plastic one still works fine for me. I did read about the CVV number changing very frequently, I think it is a neat security feature.

But yeah, maybe these things don't bother me, because I don't know any better. Never had an account with another bank in my life.

I'm with FNB as they don't require me to go into the branch for every single thing like Standard Bank insists. Haven't been to a bank branch since joining them

Also their customer service is excellent and have had no issues so far. The only gripe I have with them is every now and then when I try to pay for something it says "Declined : insufficient funds" which is a bit annoying
I havent been to a Standard Bank for years. Everything works via Internet Banking. You are aware that 85% of Standard Bank is run via Robots and Ai?

FNB sucks. I had to open an account for Paypal to be brought in because SARS kept complaining. 1 month later FNB would close the account for no reason. Eventually I complained to Paypal and my account was switched to an American account, so now it just accumulates.

And then everytime my friend wanted to go over the limit, he had to see FNB. With Std Bank I just do it on the phone.

For Private Banking and Travel....Nedbank is best, they are just miles ahead with the benefits. Also Amex Platinum is with them.

With Rewards etc Standard Bank is best. Sorry Ebucks, but I get R10 per litre back on fuel with Std, ofcourse I hardly drive lately so dont use much fuel. But Ucount is great, if you use their calculators to work how to get the extra points. Standard Bank World Citizen card is rubbish. You only get lounge access if you spend more than R10-15k per month on your credit card. Nedbank offers a few free on its Private Accounts, and then well Amex platinum really does, but pricey. You get hotel upgrades, and flight upgrades with Amex.

Capitec is not bad, but those ATMS honestly suck. Always long queues.

So how to draw and deposit Cash? PnP at the till point is cheaper than most ATMS and definitely the branches. They allow for upto R5000 where Checkers is R3000 for 19.95. If you are with Nedbank on a more wealth package you can deposit upto 40k if I am not mistaken.

Does anyone have Diner's club? Is it worth it?

I also agree you dont need a fancy account if you dont use it. Personally Std Bank Blue gives me enough benefits compared to everything above it. Sure discount on Booking.com? Hell you can get that by just being a member of Booking.com. But Ucount is great.

FNB Internet Banking is honestly rubbish. I really hate the interface. Its like a Blackberry.

That's the one reason I prefer Standard Bank. Its like IOS. Not too complicated, and easy. Want a loan? Just click Borrow and it will give you all your options with interest rates and loans are processed within a few minutes. Click on the account and pay, transfer, increase limits, decrease limits, its not complicated.

That account is nice if you want to travel etc. Do note you dont need to earn that amount as many other banks are rigid. Nedbank works, if you are willing to pay for it then you can have it. No big deal.

Other banks you need a degree in theoretical physics or earn millions to even get a specific account, but you will pay more for it anyway, so what difference does it make.

I have my cheque account where my salary is paid into with FNB, but everything else is with Discovery. The only reason for this is:

1) You can't make SARS Efiling payments from Discovery and even if you could, changing your bank account with SARS is an absolute nightmare

2) My bond is with FNB, and if I don't pay my bond from my FNB cheque account every month then apparently my interest rate goes up. They actually penalise you if the debit order for the bond doesn't come from an FNB account.

Reactions: 3WA
Since there's so many people with FNB, who else gets this with the mails from InContact (Payment to and from account) ?

001.jpg

The logo and banner images comes through as attachments (This happens in all mail programs)

Before 27th March 2023 those images were embedded in the body of the mails ... like this ...

Screenshot_5.jpg

I phoned & mailed 100's of people at fnb already, but it's always a dead end :mad:

SBSA is my primary. Private something but have a decent banker who actually helps me with queries.

FNB for freelancing. R5
Discovery for baby stuff and healthy kak. R5

Been seriously considering closing the FNB account though.

There is a lot of others also now. I see Old Mutual, Sanlam also has local accounts for banking somewhat. (I think both might be working through BIDVEST)

Then I saw a lot of ads from Barclays allowing for a foreign account.

I know Standard Bank offers and offshore account with a card also. So if you need to suddenly...leave the country.

Left Nedbank after 30+ years for FNB in 2022. Tired of the ever increasing number of additional fees to enable rewards, At least with FNB the fee covers everything and the rewards are significant.

Back