Which car - Audi A5 Sportback or new generation 3 Series touring?

Charlie600

Hi all,

So I'm in two minds regarding which vehicle to select as my new company car (we're based in Europe).

The shortlist currently consist of the Audi A5 Sportback and the new 3 Series touring - both being the 140kw 2.0Tdi versions.
Spec wise it's pretty similar with the business packs being provided etc., whilst the main evaluation is being practical and comfortable, given our 5 month old son. Naturally however, I still enjoying some spirited driving where permissible!

My current vehicle is the previous generation touring and it's been a revelation given that it's nearly as spacious as SUV whilst retaining the decent driving dynamics of a regular sedan.

The massive boot opening is awesome for loading the stroller and million and one baby items whilst the split window function is super convenient from a grocery bag perspective. When looking at some reviews on YouTube I realised that the A5 sportback's luggage opening is also similar in that it opens like a hatch instead of a regular boot, which seemingly also makes it super family friendly hence being added to the list instead of simply opting for the 3.

Looking forward to your recommendations, insights and overall banter to follow! :)

Mosgi

Former sportback driver, take one for a spin with all the items you need till load, pay attention to ease of loading, and unloading.

The aperture is actually better, and easier to load than most SUVs, and especially estate or avants. Mostly because of where the boot bottom is when loading and accessibility of your deeper boot.

airborne

Honorary Master
3 series touring all the way.
Do they still sell these in Sa, seems the station wagon thing died here whereas in Europe its still pretty big?

R_Factor

Wish they had the new 3 in Touring body style in South Africa. 330d or M340i Wagon would be a dream and tick most boxes. There's a guy in the UK that built a one off F80 M3 Touring, what a beauty!!

rodga

Executive Member
Get the touring. In msport. 330d if you can.
I have e39 touring msport and wish we still got the newer ones.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Answers here reminds me of SUV discussions in SA. Get the Fortuner, or be an individual.:ROFL:

Anyway, BMWs disappear on the roads, especially because almost all cars are black. So difficult to distinguish the different models.

A5 stands out. Go drive the Audi. Pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised. I was.

Last edited:

OCP

Expert Member
Answers here reminds me of SUV discussions in SA. Get the Fortuner, or be an individual.:ROFL:

Anyway, BMWs disappear on the roads, especially because almost all cars are black. So difficult to distinguish the different models.

An 5 stands out. Go drive the Audi. Pretty sure you will be pleasantly surprised. I was.
The BMW is a driver's car ... Audi is for looks ;-)