Which charge lasts longest, via PC USB or charger plugged in 220v outlet?

geezer

Expert Member
Me and a few colleagues had this discussion during our tea break. Some are suggesting that their phones lasts longer when they charge it via the USB port on the computer, and some are saying that their phones last longer when chargiong with the OEM charger plugged into the 220v wall power outlet. My feeling on this is that it indeed does charge quicker with the charger, beacuse it is 5v/1 amp versus the USB's 5v 0.5 amp. But when it is full, it is full. Thereafter it is perception.

Your takes on this?

Tander

Executive Member
But when it is full, it is full. Thereafter it is perception.
It's perception.

If I fill my car's petrol tank using 5L containers (Think: USB 5V 0.5amp)

Vs

Filling the car using the pump: (Wall charger)

The petrol in both tanks will still give me the exact same distance (If we take out driving style and all the other variables)

So it's perception - there is no difference between the two.

robertwj

I don't think it would make a difference?
One just might take longer than the other

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
It's perception.

If I fill my car's petrol tank using 5L containers (Think: USB 5V 0.5amp)

Vs

Filling the car using the pump: (Wall charger)

The petrol in both tanks will still give me the exact same distance (If we take out driving style and all the other variables)

So it's perception - there is no difference between the two.
Comparing batteries to a consumable like fuel is a terrible comparison.
I read a long article a while back which stated that a bettery's retention and rundown time is related to the length of time it takes to charge. Im too lazy to google it now but its not as simple as a battery being full takes the same amount of time to discharge regardless of how it was charged.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Agreed, wall chargers do charge faster than USB. Once charged it should be the same.......

Just a thought.... I know that the battery is not 100% fully charged when the phone says it is. I always leave it an extra hour or so if I can and usually get more time on the battery.

Can it not perhaps be that when the phone say 100% that the charge from the wall charger may be a bit more 'powerful' than the USB charge?

clasqm

Just a thought.... I know that the battery is not 100% fully charged when the phone says it is. I always leave it an extra hour or so if I can and usually get more time on the battery.
There was a big made-up "batterygate" about this about two years ago. What happens is that iGadgets are pretty smart - they charge to 99%, then shut down and drop to about 95, then start charging again for a bit ... this stops the battery cooking when you forget your phone is on the charger and you drive off for a long weekend. But they don't show an accurate battery level on the phone's display. To simplify your life it shows 100% throughout the process. So occasionally you will grab it off the charger and it will read 100% when it actually is at the 95% level in the process. The next time you look at it it says 90% and you go "WTF?"

Can it not perhaps be that when the phone say 100% that the charge from the wall charger may be a bit more 'powerful' than the USB charge?
No. Electrons are electrons are electrons.

MKFrost

Expert Member
There was a big made-up "batterygate" about this about two years ago.....
Thanks for that detail, was not aware of this and now makes sense why the phone is 'better' charged when left after it shows 100%