Which fibre provider to choose?

Eye9od

Whatever you do, stay away from WebAfrica. I've just cancelled my service with them after struggling for the better part of a year to get consistent speeds and effective support. They offer neither.

MOSSIE125

Is cool ideas still good?

I see a lot of people are saying cool ideas.
Are they still as good as they were?
We are busy getting fibre in our neighborhood and I am researching which is the best ISP and which line to get.

I am a gamer that want to start streaming.
We are a family of 8 that all want to be able to stream YouTube and Netflix at the same time.
SADV is our infrastructure provider.
Any suggestions appreciated :)

gfmalan

Expert Member
We are busy getting fibre in our neighborhood and I am researching which is the best ISP and which line to get.

We are a family of 8 that all want to be able to stream YouTube and Netflix at the same time.

You seem to have the answer, Go4it

coop

I can't comment on 8 people streaming, but there are 5 in our household. The two kids constantly stream on laptops and video chat on phones at the same time, I also stream and the wife games. We very rarely have any issues (other than the complementary Eskom initiated issues). I have a 100/100 connection with Cool Ideas and Vumatel. Haven't used SADV, so can't comment on their infrastructure.
Like all ISP's, when there is a major outage, if you want to phone them, you will sit in a queue for a while. Plus PBCool being available on these forums means you never get into a situation where you cannot get an issue resolved.

Fiekus

Expert Member
In the same situation, our complex is live on Octotel, now for the provider choice. I'm between Vox (Home Pro) or CI. I've heard only good things about CI but anyone on Vox? Thinking of getting the 100/25 option

MOSSIE125

I can't comment on 8 people streaming, but there are 5 in our household. The two kids constantly stream on laptops and video chat on phones at the same time, I also stream and the wife games. We very rarely have any issues (other than the complementary Eskom initiated issues). I have a 100/100 connection with Cool Ideas and Vumatel. Haven't used SADV, so can't comment on their infrastructure.
Like all ISP's, when there is a major outage, if you want to phone them, you will sit in a queue for a while. Plus PBCool being available on these forums means you never get into a situation where you cannot get an issue resolved.

Thanks a lot! This information helps me out a ton!

gfmalan

Expert Member
I still need to decide what speed/ line we need to get. Any suggestions appreciated.

Do you make use of cloud storage (iCloud/OneDrive etc.?)

Do you have a Plex server and you want to stream your own content to your mobile devices when away from home?

Netflix SD require 3Mbps
Netflix HD require 5Mbps
Netflix 4K require 16-25Mbps

I would say 100/25 is a good starting point, you can have 8 HD streams, few VoIP phones, and people surfing the web and your Xplora downloading video.

25 upload would allow you to stream 2+ streams to mobile from your house, or keeping multiple cloud storage providers insync.

In my experience the bottleneck isn’t at your side, MultiChoice servers suffer and can’t stream quick enough, or the links between SA and where ever your storage provider sit has issues.

I’m having a 100/100 solution because of uploading files to servers, I used it in month 2 and in month 9 to the max for 8-9 days, and now upload is never more dan a few minutes a week to sync.

You can always change your package if you need to.