Which handgun do you recommend for EDC?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
There really seem to be two parts to this question: which are the best handguns for EDC, and which are the best handguns one can actually get in South Africa.

What do you recommend and is it because you have good experiences with it or on what grounds are you recommending it? Ideally if you could recommend where to get it from, that'd also be helpful.

I can see the default internationally is the Glock 19 Gen 5, but there seem to be constant stock shortages in South Africa.

notayoba

How legit is this? seeing as they want stuff like your ID number and other personal info.
The saying "Help a man when he's in need, and he'll remember you...... next time he's in need" comes to mind.

I've donated to one of their causes, and had to dodge a few weeks of spam calls from them.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
The saying "Help a man when he's in need, and he'll remember you...... next time he's in need" comes to mind.

I've donated to one of their causes, and had to dodge a few weeks of spam calls from them.
ja, but are they legit. I have filled their forms in 3 times now.

notayoba

ja, but are they legit. I have filled their forms in 3 times now.
That's true. They are legit.

Also the reason they want your ID etc, is when you fill in one of their petitions, your response counts as 1 'vote' for whatever cause you are supporting or fighting. With other petitions, the entire petition counts as 1 'vote' . (If I'm making any sense)

But I still didn't appreciate the spamming.

mojoman

190 calender days so far....137 business days...
Licence is at 'in prep for consideration'....
Unreal how useless these muppets are...
I would gladly pay a lot more than R140 odd for a licence application just to get proper service...

SoldierMan

Executive Member
In South Africa I would go for a Glock 19 Generation 5 (the updated model that has front serrations and half-moon cutout on the grip, all the new guns have these features) or a CZ P10C (not sure what Generation the P10 is on but ask your dealer). The CZ is cheaper so that is in it's favour, while the Glock you can find more spares and mods for it in SA.

I say South Africa because if something goes wrong with those two guns you can find spares to fix your gun, otherwise it's as good as a very expensive brick, and you don't want that with your EDC.

Last edited:

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I have a licensing question for the gun owners on here: what did you do to source newspaper clippings of crime in your area, and how many clippings did you supply?

I've noticed that Ranyati asks for that to be submitted to them with new license motivation applications, so I've asked them too, but I'm curious what the experience 'on the ground' is like.

Specifically if someone knows of a handy service in Gauteng that actually sells relevant newspaper clippings (surely there must be some entrepreneurial individual that does this - it wouldn't be that hard to do), that'd be a helpful reference!