Which handgun do you recommend for EDC?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
There really seem to be two parts to this question: which are the best handguns for EDC, and which are the best handguns one can actually get in South Africa.

What do you recommend and is it because you have good experiences with it or on what grounds are you recommending it? Ideally if you could recommend where to get it from, that'd also be helpful.

I can see the default internationally is the Glock 19 Gen 5, but there seem to be constant stock shortages in South Africa.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I was at my local gun shop earlier and he said that the last few weeks have seen a big uptick in registrations taking a shorter time. One guy on Monday took 27 working days, and he said it's been quicker and quicker everytime someone comes in to collect their guns recently.

When i was there, also changed the magazine release to the right hand side of my Glock 43x as I'm left handed and now can release with the middle finger of my left hand. So much easier now. And off to the range on Friday so will give it lots of practice.

RanzB

Honorary Master
I was at my local gun shop earlier and he said that the last few weeks have seen a big uptick in registrations taking a shorter time. One guy on Monday took 27 working days, and he said it's been quicker and quicker everytime someone comes in to collect their guns recently.

It's definitely good news, but the problem is that it's not uniform. Seems very random. You get guys getting licences within 30 days but you also have people waiting 200+ business days.

byronsn

Finally managed to sort out my competency application yesterday, though not without difficulty. Actually had an appointment for the 15th, but when I got there was told that the lady was going out for physical assesment. Called again on Monday and managed to get an appointment for yesterday.

Lady squashed up one of my charachter references, apparently there was a problem with it for submission. Then she realised that she didnt need to submit everything and dug it out of the bin.

Made payment and came back with a receipt, apparently there was an issue with the receipt I got. She mumbled something about only getting around to it in 3 weeks. Didnt even get a reference number. Will wait patiently now, gives me more time to save I guess

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Finally managed to sort out my competency application yesterday, though not without difficulty. Actually had an appointment for the 15th, but when I got there was told that the lady was going out for physical assesment. Called again on Monday and managed to get an appointment for yesterday.

Lady squashed up one of my charachter references, apparently there was a problem with it for submission. Then she realised that she didnt need to submit everything and dug it out of the bin.

Made payment and came back with a receipt, apparently there was an issue with the receipt I got. She mumbled something about only getting around to it in 3 weeks. Didnt even get a reference number. Will wait patiently now, gives me more time to save I guess

They are meant to send you a reference number by sms a day or two after but no-one seems to receive this. Phone them next week and ask for the reference, it's the only way to track your application. And keep a hold of that receipt, it's the only proof you have in the meantime.

rodga

Honorary Master
They are meant to send you a reference number by sms a day or two after but no-one seems to receive this. Phone them next week and ask for the reference, it's the only way to track your application. And keep a hold of that receipt, it's the only proof you have in the meantime.
Also didn't get a reference till about 2 weeks after.

Does anyone know when you can start tracking your application on the app?
It doesn't find anything on my reference number yet

gbyleveldt

Expert Member
Also didn't get a reference till about 2 weeks after.

Does anyone know when you can start tracking your application on the app?
It doesn't find anything on my reference number yet
You can search on SAPS' website using your FA serial number as well. On my last app I never got the reference number so after a few weeks I tried using the FA serial and voila.

Ocali

Expert Member
As far as I know, as soon as you get your reference you can track it. Sometimes take time for the site to update as well.

Also to make sure, use the site directly and ensure you are filling in the correct fields or using the correct option to search...

mojoman

Expert Member

When I heard our DFO was leaving and no-one was replacing him I quickly put in my second application....
Because of quality competence like this...

Hellhound105

Executive Member
I'm not having the same experience as some or that I have had a year ago.

Attention at DFO used to be max 3 working days. Now apps are just stuck there.
Submitted 2 section 16s on the 13th of June :

1656051225615.png

No reference SMS received but as this was not a competency easy to track using ID and firearm serial.

As you guys have seen my 308 app previously here is that update:

1656051498998.png

On the 13th of June I also asked where the 308 application was at. That morning (Their website updates from 4PM to around 8:30PM) it still said "In Process at DFO". They then said no it is "Send to Provincial". (Sent)
That evening my app updated the 308 to "Send to Provincial". Was at 88 working days or close to that number stuck on In process at DFO.