Which iPhone to upgrade to from a 7?

Charis76

I am due for an upgrade and very keen to get a larger phone than the current 7. I like the XS but can't decide on which storage size, 64GB or 256GB. I use Google photos to store photos in the cloud so will 64GB be enough? I have heard the phone uses quite a bit of space just on the OS?

As1974a

Got the 256gb - XS Plus (Company issued) - System takes up 20GB. My music takes up 15.7 currently and photos 7gb . So if you can rather the 256gb. you cant store everything in the cloud.

As1974a

Agreed. Face ID much easier. You can login to apps with face ID as well instead of typing in a password (I.E Discovery medical aid app).

travcaine

I am due for an upgrade and very keen to get a larger phone than the current 7. I like the XS but can't decide on which storage size, 64GB or 256GB. I use Google photos to store photos in the cloud so will 64GB be enough? I have heard the phone uses quite a bit of space just on the OS?
I went from 7 to iPhone X 64GB, the difference in performance was amazing. Face ID is the best thing ever, I don't miss the home button at all. I use iCloud for everything has have around 6GB left on my phone, so go for the 256.

itsme2

Agreed. Face ID much easier. You can login to apps with face ID as well instead of typing in a password (I.E Discovery medical aid app).
you can do this with touch ID too. I regret upgrading to the X. It's overpriced, and the benefit was almost nothing. It's crazy expensive (R25k +-).
You are throwing your money away for very little benefit. Rather just do an Apple store battery replacement and enjoy paying 1/3 of your normal bill.

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
I upgraded from a 7 (128gb) to an Xs (256gb) this past weekend. Could not be happier. Already used to not having a physical home button and am also very impressed with FaceID and the camera, plus the phone is a lot faster than I am used to.

As1974a

you can do this with touch ID too. I regret upgrading to the X. It's overpriced, and the benefit was almost nothing. It's crazy expensive (R25k +-).
You are throwing your money away for very little benefit. Rather just do an Apple store battery replacement and enjoy paying 1/3 of your normal bill.
When i had the Iphone 7, it couldn't do that at the time. you are correct though not much different form the 7 plus. Main feature i use is the FACEID. As for the cost, in my case, its company rule to only use Iphones and cost is theirs so....

_kabal_

Expert Member
Just upgraded 2 days ago from my iPhone 6S 64gb which I got in launch month, to a Xs 64gb.
Never had an issue with space.

Everything about it is better. Don’t miss the home button or Touch ID at all.

“upgrading” on iOS is a dream. Every app and setting as it was, only needing to enter my iCloud password and setup Google Authenticator for 2FA.
Hell even an in progress podcast was at the correct position.

airborne

Executive Member
Just upgraded 2 days ago from my iPhone 6S 64gb which I got in launch month, to a Xs 64gb.
Never had an issue with space.

Everything about it is better. Don’t miss the home button or Touch ID at all.

“upgrading” on iOS is a dream. Every app and setting as it was, only needing to enter my iCloud password and setup Google Authenticator for 2FA.
Hell even an in progress podcast was at the correct position.
That seamless backup/restoring is where Apple smashes Android and any other os clean out the park, no question about it.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Got the 256GB X S Max and I am pretty happy, not sure if it will be my daily driver just yet though, think the P30 Pro will remain my Main phone.

Charis76

So I decided on the XS 256GB and received it only to open the box and find a scratch on the screen! Returned it immediately and now I have been waiting a week for a new phone. I would really love the XS Max purely for size, but can't justify the cost.