Which is better for the SA job market, Comptia Linux+ or LPIC 1?

spamsam

Simple question, which is better for the current SA job environment and what experiences have people had with both.

Geared towards someone who has been working on Linux for a while and wants to codifiy their skillset.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
RedHat is the real deal if you really want to be marketable, but you need someone else to pay for it.

LPIC after that as it’s also much larger and multiple modules deeper than the Comptia stuff.

Put it this way if someone has a verifies RedHat certification I know I don’t need to test them and that they passed a real world practical exam.

If they passed LPIC I know they are good at memorising things and doing some logic but I’d want to see them in action first.

shadow_man

Executive Member
RedHat is the real deal if you really want to be marketable, but you need someone else to pay for it.

LPIC after that as it’s also much larger and multiple modules deeper than the Comptia stuff.

Put it this way if someone has a verifies RedHat certification I know I don’t need to test them and that they passed a real world practical exam.

If they passed LPIC I know they are good at memorising things and doing some logic but I’d want to see them in action first.
+1 - i'd say LinuxFoundation exams are good cheap alternatives too - hands on tests. So either you can or you can't - no guessing.

charlieharper

Expert Member
this ....

also found that using slackware without a gui was a good way to learn linux.
I've pretty much only ever used Linux without a GUI. Cloud vps servers. Lol.

But I do run a Unix based operating system on my day to day laptop.

s0lar

Expert Member
this ....

also found that using slackware without a gui was a good way to learn linux.
Slackware was great. When you booted up a clean install almost everything failed. The maintainer took the position if you want to use it your should get it to work. Got slackware running, then got on to the Gentoo hype train. To be honest, Gentoo taught me basic compilation skills that is about it.

To @spamsam why don't you reach out to Obsidian or LSD over twitter or the like and pose your question?