Which is the best refrigerator brand to invest in?

Ares1000101

Ressurection:

My +- 20 year old hand me down KIC is tripping earth leakage constantly. Since a few weeks back, I was noticing the compressor running more than usual. It was always still cold though.
I think this new round of load shedding may have damaged it. So I'm leaning towards getting a new fridge instead of getting a repair man out.

I like the Samsung/LG/Bosch in the R8-9k range but that pricey. Then you see Defy for R5-7k, and a 5 year warranty, but heard a lot about Defy being rubbish?
Fiance doesn't wana spend too much. I don't mind swiping the card....

If I repair, a call out I assume would be R500ish? then who knows how much to fix. Maybe an earth leakage fault is an easy fix....

Oh, so the question, can I rely on Defy? Or will I regret it?

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Ressurection:

My +- 20 year old hand me down KIC is tripping earth leakage constantly. Since a few weeks back, I was noticing the compressor running more than usual. It was always still cold though.
I think this new round of load shedding may have damaged it. So I'm leaning towards getting a new fridge instead of getting a repair man out.

I like the Samsung/LG/Bosch in the R8-9k range but that pricey. Then you see Defy for R5-7k, and a 5 year warranty, but heard a lot about Defy being rubbish?
Fiance doesn't wana spend too much. I don't mind swiping the card....

If I repair, a call out I assume would be R500ish? then who knows how much to fix. Maybe an earth leakage fault is an easy fix....

Oh, so the question, can I rely on Defy? Or will I regret it?
So what did you go with?

Ares1000101

So what did you go with?
Went with a Defy. They were, and I think are still running crazy specials. Got a free open view decoder with it.

Salesman said that Defy is well aware that their after sales support has gone to **** and are trying to fix that. So to get back in the market they are selling at very good prices.

Ares1000101

I was keen on better brands, but R4500 for a full size fridge/freezer was too good to pass up. Then sold the decoder for R400 so ya.

Let's see how long it lasts.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I would go with virtually any brandexcept a Defy.
Call out costs are R 800 minimum to fix an old fridge.
Bosch seems to be a real good buy.

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

Washing machine=LG
Whirlpool washing machine=Lasted many years, but then the mechanical switch failed burned motor. I replaced this with LG. The LG surprises me till today. Will buy LG again.

Fridge:The only fridge combination I ever had that worked well and still is , is an LG.

Stove: Defy
Replaced old stove with Defy....The defy was flimsy and arrived scew. After fight they replaced it.
Its still working good, so I cant complain.

Dishwasher: Defy
Bosch=Quite Rubbish, never again. This reminded me of the I7 Mecer laptop I once bought.

Defy:Half the price still works perfect every time right out of the box.

A good product works well out of the box, you soon forget you bought it.

geezer

Expert Member
I would go with virtually vaunting but a Defy.
Call out costs are R 800 minimum to fix an old fridge.
Bosch seems to be a real good buy.
Seems that there is a bit of an advantage not staying in the larger areas is South Africa. We recently had our trusted repair guy come out, his call out fee still is R150. The last repair he did was <R500 for his call out, replace valve, re-gas, and thermostat replace.

StrongestAvenger

+1 for any Defy appliance. Parts are readily available, if I order today it's on my desk by 7am the next day.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Hellopeter is a money making scam.

You need a costly subscription as a company to reply. And if you know consumers, they like to blow things out of proportion and lie or they haven't read the rules. It is hard to say how many of them are legit since a company isn't going to say hey you are wrong voetsek.

So in actual fact Hellopeter is not a fair representation of service. A smaller company will get less complaints, so it is relative to the size of company.

At my last job they were taking any positive feedback from clients and posting it as the client for our company. Eventually and I mean eventually Hellopeter blocked our IP or something after creating so many accounts.

I would say, ask for a fridge that has R522a or something gas, it is a newer more efficient gas. Don't look at how fancy it is. First look at the technology. Also I think, do fridges use invertors? Is it standard or do they come only with the better ones like aircons? The actual technology can save you a lot of money as some people keep fridges until they break. So spending R2k extra for a quiet, efficient and ice making unit lol might be worthwhile. Our KIC fridge makes squealing sounds, but it is low budget...
Excellent advice and solid point about HP. Pity about the racist BS avatar.

My recommendation would be Bosch. Very reliable had one for over 10 years and parts are available locally.

We also have a Samsung, reliable and value for money, small plastic parts have broken over a five year period and the fridge makes an odd noise at times.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
LG inverter unit!

Think they only ones doing inverter fridges i think.

I am somehow unconvinced that inverter fridges are worth the extra cost. They also seem to be only available from the East (Samsung / LG / Hitech ), none of the top German brands (Bosch / AEG / Siemens) to my knowledge have embraced this tech.
It's a cool tech in theory, not so sure whether or not it is practical.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
you don't invest in appliances. depends on the budget. I smaak smeg but I dont have smeg money. bosch is nice as well.
That depends really, for me the last fridge I bought was an investment.
My previous one was using so much electricity that the new one will have paid for itself in little over a year and will then continue to save me money.
But to answer OP's question Bosch has the best energy ratings so that would be my recommendation.

AntennaMan

Expert Member

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I am somehow unconvinced that inverter fridges are worth the extra cost. They also seem to be only available from the East (Samsung / LG / Hitech ), none of the top German brands (Bosch / AEG / Siemens) to my knowledge have embraced this tech.
It's a cool tech in theory, not so sure whether or not it is practical.
Samsung and Alliance know inverters. They are one of the biggest air-conditioning brands in the world.

Although I hate to say it, but being a German brand does not automatically ensure quality.

akescpt

Honorary Master
That depends really, for me the last fridge I bought was an investment.
My previous one was using so much electricity that the new one will have paid for itself in little over a year and will then continue to save me money.
But to answer OP's question Bosch has the best energy ratings so that would be my recommendation.
Actually been surprised by my fridge and freezer energy consumption. While I admit the good consumption is a help at the end of the day an investment must ideally be able to be sold for more than purchase price when you decide to sell.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Samsung and Alliance know inverters. They are one of the biggest air-conditioning brands in the world.

Although I hate to say it, but being a German brand does not automatically ensure quality.
So to the man equipped with only a hammer, every problem looks like a nail? :)

Agreed on your German quality statement, however when we talk about those brands (Bosch, AEG, Siemens, Miele (Liebherr)), they are generally excellent in terms of engineering and quality. It is pretty strange that they haven't embraced inverter tech, but I take your point that they are engineered in countries that are a lot colder than their Eastern counterparts, and therefore are not considered big as far as aircon brands go. Then again, there is the opportunity for greater savings on electricity consumption, something which Europe in general is renowned for.

It's similar to the Diesel vs Petrol car debate, diesel is more frugal but requires a greater upfront investment, and very often any savings are negated by the this, as well as the fact that they are more complex (and therefore more expensive to maintain, more moving parts, and lots more to go wrong).

A proper independent comparative study of both the CAPEX and running costs of these technologies would be great.