Which is the best refrigerator brand to invest in?

schuits

Expert Member
We have a Russell Hobbs and it's been good to us so far, about 5 years. Was on special otherwise I'd go for Bosch too.

Naks

Executive Member
Avoid Smeg - great to look at, but functionality is meh

Nqindi

Expert Member
A fridge is a fridge is a fridge. Home appliances are NOT an investment and are largely commoditized. There are no big difference between the big brands because they all know they formula. Make your decision bases on budget, looks, terms of warrantee ECT.

MraL

LG: okay but the door hinges broke causing the door to not shut properly.
Defy: my favourite, kept it until my wife moved in and got rid of it cause it was "uglier" than her Samsung. Now that she's gone I've got another Defy.
Samsung: okay fridge, but generally people who own them make lousy life partners.
rotfl ...

waynehooper

Avoid Hisense fridges like the plague. The 4 year warranty is worthless.

In the last 30 years I have had Defy, LG and Samsung. Issues along the way have been sorted out within days and spares have never been a problem.

My Hisense fridge has been a dud since the beginning. Came with shelves missing, then the door light switches broke. The fridge part has never cooled as well as my Defy/LG/Samsung fridges, with some parts (crisper basket at bottom) just about freezing the tomatoes, and some of the shelves not cooling properly.

In february the fridge was not cooling properly and water was running out of the front of the fridge (under the crisper basket and out of the door). Was told that loadshedding must be confusing the PC board and must turn it off for a while. I run Clearline surge protectors (with over/under voltage protection) on all my electronics so that was bull.

Finally early in August (06/08/20) the fridge stopped working altogether, and the repair agents said the fan (in the freezer section) had stopped working as he suspected the PC board was faulty. He ordered the spares and none were available (on backorder). Was told that spares would only arrive at Hisense on 24/08/20.

He then tried to get them to issue me a credit as it was not fair for me to wait that long, especially with the whole Covid situation. They rejected the claim for the credit, stating the fridge was too old (2.5 years), and that I must just wait for the spares.

With that type of service, I would recommend that you avoid all Hisense products and don't be fooled by the great sounding warranty, it's worthless.

EDIT #############

Just a follow up on the whole saga. After 2 weeks they relented after the spares were delayed even further, and organised a credit of the purchase price through Game (where I purchased), and I paid in the difference on a new fridge.

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Mine started quiet...
Necro. My Samsung fridge is still going great. Had one issue with a thermostat that had to be replaced but it was like R250 and has been fine since. I just fear after 6 years of Eskom shenanigans it's definitely going to take its toll.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
My parents have a Hisense fridge but the thing is never cold enough so it ends up icing up on the back but the front is not cold enough.

Curious_Al

Parents has a LG fridge going almost 20 year strong with no issues.

That being said not sure about the quality of stuff they make now days.

wbot

Executive Member
Wouldn't recommend hisense. We had one and it was never cold even on its highest setting.

air

Expert Member
Bought an ARDO fridge 15 years ago, not cheap, but touch wood, good for another 15 years.

Mordecai

I would highly recommend a bosch. We have an off grid home and have a Bosch fridge and a freezer. Had both for 4 years now, no problems so far. The electricity use is minimal, when running it uses less than 100w.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Wouldn't recommend hisense. We had one and it was never cold even on its highest setting.
Stayed a few days in Mykonos and didn't have that problem after figuring out the temp dial is not celsius but higher is colder.

unobeat

Which model?

We have a hisense fridge(2 door configuration, bottom door freezer and top door is the fridge) that is performing well for 6 years and no issues to date.

What attracted me to Hisense is the warranty which is 4 years.
Also have a Hisense Smart TV which has worked well for 3 years now.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Avoid Hisense fridges like the plague. The 4 year warranty is worthless.

In the last 30 years I have had Defy, LG and Samsung. Issues along the way have been sorted out within days and spares have never been a problem.

My Hisense fridge has been a dud since the beginning. Came with shelves missing, then the door light switches broke. The fridge part has never cooled as well as my Defy/LG/Samsung fridges, with some parts (crisper basket at bottom) just about freezing the tomatoes, and some of the shelves not cooling properly.

In february the fridge was not cooling properly and water was running out of the front of the fridge (under the crisper basket and out of the door). Was told that loadshedding must be confusing the PC board and must turn it off for a while. I run Clearline surge protectors (with over/under voltage protection) on all my electronics so that was bull.

Finally early in August (06/08/20) the fridge stopped working altogether, and the repair agents said the fan (in the freezer section) had stopped working as he suspected the PC board was faulty. He ordered the spares and none were available (on backorder). Was told that spares would only arrive at Hisense on 24/08/20.

He then tried to get them to issue me a credit as it was not fair for me to wait that long, especially with the whole Covid situation. They rejected the claim for the credit, stating the fridge was too old (2.5 years), and that I must just wait for the spares.

With that type of service, I would recommend that you avoid all Hisense products and don't be fooled by the great sounding warranty, it's worthless.

EDIT #############

Just a follow up on the whole saga. After 2 weeks they relented after the spares were delayed even further, and organised a credit of the purchase price through Game (where I purchased), and I paid in the difference on a new fridge.
What did you buy?