Which ISPs use Dark Fibre Africa?

greenwolf4d

Dark Fibre Africa have fibre running down the street past our complex. However, they don't seem to provide ISP services to homeowners. Does anyone know if there is an ISP that provides connectivity over Dark Fibre's infrastructure?

Mr_SA

Dark Fibre Africa have fibre running down the street past our complex. However, they don't seem to provide ISP services to homeowners. Does anyone know if there is an ISP that provides connectivity over Dark Fibre's infrastructure?
I have also been trying to get this answer... And if you contact DFA, they are not exactly helpful.
But I think I did find out that they only do FTTB at the moment and not home.

rrh

Expert Member
I have also been trying to get this answer... And if you contact DFA, they are not exactly helpful.
But I think I did find out that they only do FTTB at the moment and not home.
DFA do supply FTTH e.g. Parkview. That said, their FTTH services are relatively limited.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Connection fees makes it unaffordable "FTTH" but can be done starting from ~R6k pm

Mk123

Got DFA running past my complex. Spoke to Vox, Webafrica, Telkom and Crystalweb. None seem to be able to help. Lightspeed said it's possible with R10k per month signups or something.

Really desperate to get fibre :(

koeksGHT

Dealer
Got DFA running past my complex. Spoke to Vox, Webafrica, Telkom and Crystalweb. None seem to be able to help. Lightspeed said it's possible with R10k per month signups or something.

Really desperate to get fibre :(
Desperate enough to pay for it?

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
If you are willing to fork out about 8k/pm and sign a 12 month contract they might even wave the installation fee/trenching. I found it interesting that last week Seacom contacted us and wanted to offer 25/50Mb uncapped broadband (as a drop-in replacement to our current IS fibre) - 25Mbps worked out to be about 3K/pm. If it was not for frequent breakages (and the breakage of my bank-account), I would have considered this as an option for my home.

koeksGHT

Dealer
If you are willing to fork out about 8k/pm and sign a 12 month contract they might even wave the installation fee/trenching. I found it interesting that last week Seacom contacted us and wanted to offer 25/50Mb uncapped broadband (as a drop-in replacement to our current IS fibre) - 25Mbps worked out to be about 3K/pm. If it was not for frequent breakages (and the breakage of my bank-account), I would have considered this as an option for my home.
Worth it :whistling:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
What a weird question. Pretty much every ISP uses some DFA infrastructure at some point as backhaul.

The fact that the OP seems to be missing is the Dark part of DFA.

Currently, DFA does not supply any services on their fibre, it arrives dark. The problem the OP is going to face is getting a link from that DFA backbone into his house. The proverbial last mile. The problem he faces is that very few ISPs are installing that last mile to the home over fibre.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
When you spend 8+ hours a day online it's worth getting a decent non fustrating connection.
That's why I work in the office with high-speed data links (but agree, nothing beats surfing the internet at home in your underpants - something which is frowned upon by co-workers)

Mr.D

Hi all, I know for a fact that Cybersmart (lightspeed) provides this service. We have a DFA cable running in a road about 70m from our complex. Lightspeed told us that they could only offer us the service if we could bring in R10,000 business per month for them. That is essentially 17 customers on the R599p/m package. This sounds easy to do, I have tried, but getting your neighbors interested turned out to be quite the challenge :-(

ChadKay

Same here from my end. In a complex with 100+ houses and DFA next to us.
Lightspeed also said they need 17 sign-ups which we have it's just the package they offer really aren't great (Data wise).
Found TT Connect who is laying Fibre in the neighbouring suburb and basically said we've got the customers, give us a price we can't say no to. So waiting to get a figure from them, then hopefully we can sign-up with Cool Ideas as our ISP. They have great packages at outstanding prices.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Lightspeed also said they need 17 sign-ups which we have it's just the package they offer really aren't great (Data wise).
Found TT Connect who is laying Fibre in the neighbouring suburb and basically said we've got the customers, give us a price we can't say no to. So waiting to get a figure from them, then hopefully we can sign-up with Cool Ideas as our ISP. They have great packages at outstanding prices.
Great news :).

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Could you PM me a contact for TT connect (I would have 100-150 signups with avg spend of R700)

MOHURE

It depends on the Area..in Parkview FrogFoot is the access provider through DFA.. MWEB. Vox .coolideas are some of the ISPs available