Which large tech or telecoms company would you like to work for?

• Adapt IT

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Altron

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cell C

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Dimension Data

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • EOH

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Liquid Telecom

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • MTN

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • MultiChoice

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Telkom

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Vodacom

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Where is the None option?

I'm being serious. I would hate to work for a large company except for a few. Too easy to become a number and in tough times it's too easy for them to swing a broad axes. Give me 100-300 employee companies who are resilient enough but not too big.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If I had to pick one of those:

Too scared I won't have a job come next month:
  • Adapt IT
  • Cell C
  • Dimension Data
  • EOH
  • Telkom
Not a chance/"I heard stories":
  • Vodacom
  • MultiChoice
Maybe (don't know enough)
  • Liquid Telecom
  • Altron
Maybe maybe
  • MTN
:confused:

krycor

Honorary Master
Tough choice tbh (Sa based companies) given that restructure, retrenchment etc processes happening at a few in this list or knowing their HR, corporate structure or culture suck.

I voted based on opportunity and recession proofing so MTN looks good(vs whats on offer) as you could always opt for working somewhere in africa for a year. Mobile is commodity like, similar to payments and niche banking tech, its going nowhere so you safe mostly when things hit the fan.

krycor

Honorary Master
If I had to pick one of those:

Too scared I won't have a job come next month:
  • Adapt IT
  • Cell C
  • Dimension Data
  • EOH
  • Telkom
Not a chance/"I heard stories":
  • Vodacom
  • MultiChoice
Maybe (don't know enough)
  • Liquid Telecom
  • Altron
Maybe maybe
  • MTN
:confused:
Altron employment contracts tho.. its a deal with the devil.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So who are the four uninformed souls wanting to work for Di Data? I mean, they're only busy retrenching about 500 people.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Telkom is shell company - They are BCX's biggest client.

But neither of them

Brian_G

Expert Member
Rather somewhere beyond Africa, had enough of this place, but not northern hemisphere which seems to have gone mad and Oz / NZ could all drown... so I guess somewhere in South America.

Otherwise will take Multichoice - very interesting tech which I'm involved with, if you can survive their politics and st00pids.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My choice isn't on the list, they're probably not big enough, although probably a household name at least on this forum, and bonus, I already work for them.

Reactions: Yuu

Neuk_

Expert Member
None.

I ended up working for one of those listed after an outsourcing deal which ended up being the failure many of us said it would and I have been back at my current employer for four and a half years, far, far, far happier than I was at the Tech company.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
None of them, don't want to work in a giant corporate till I pretty much plateau unless the company is very interesting, which none of those really tick, one will stagnate.

Would pick a company with around 10-50 software devs, entire company cannot exceed around 200, at that point you become a cog in the machine, not a fixed rule, companies can be different.

I've declined an EoH offer before their crisis, and declined a Vodacom one since they both seem too corporate, would only take the latter if I decide to move into being a DBA or something (until I gain enough experience at smaller companies where I can touch pretty much anything in the process and I can improve things with quick discussions only being required rather than a bureaucratic mess).