Which LEFT HAND ergonomic mouse?

DeonH

Hi all and thanks for your advice.
I am left handed and therefor my options are a little bit limited. Otherwise I would have bought the Logitech MX Ergo Trackball.

Based on reviews around the world for left handed ergonomic trackball mice, the Elecom comes out tops. But, your hand it still in a horisontal position and not at the ±20 degree angle of similar mice.

I like the Perimice 713 LH's angle but it doesn't have a trackball and you still have to move the mouse around.

I haven't held an ergonomic mouse in my hand yet but the ones that hold your hand to a slight angle seem to be more comfortable.

Can someone with experience from either "flat" or "angled" ergonomic mice please advise? I'm sort of leaning towards the one with the slight angle which looks more natural in how we hold our hands.

Thank you.

neoprema

Executive Member
Can't help you here, but a note - you can change hands with enough practice.

when i got into computers left-hand mice were not even considered, so i was forced into a right-hand one. 20 years later I can't use a mouse in my left hand at all, despite the fact I do everything with my left hand.

DeonH

when i got into computers left-hand mice were not even considered, so i was forced into a right-hand one. 20 years later I can't use a mouse in my left hand at all, despite the fact I do everything with my left hand.
Thanks. I was thinking about it and was wondering if it is possible to learn to use the other hand. Thanks for the motivational tip.

neoprema

Executive Member
Thanks. I was thinking about it and was wondering if it is possible to learn to use the other hand. Thanks for the motivational tip.
Yeah tis not easy you need to practise a lot. For me it was forced, i had no other choice and i can use it in my right hand easily now.
That said, the world has changed a lot since those days, there are now mice for left-handed people. As you can see here: https://www.amazon.com/Left-Hand-Mouse/s?k=Left+Hand+Mouse

Lupus

Honorary Master

Well to be fair they were pretty basic and you could use any hand :). But I'm a lefty and use my mouse right handed.
Living in a right hand world :)

DeonH

Yeah tis not easy you need to practise a lot. For me it was forced, i had no other choice and i can use it in my right hand easily now.
That said, the world has changed a lot since those days, there are now mice for left-handed people. As you can see here: https://www.amazon.com/Left-Hand-Mouse/s?k=Left+Hand+Mouse
Thank you. I had a look at most of them. To me it looks like the ones without the tracking ball where you still have to move the mouse itself, fits more comfortably in your hand since they are slightly angled which takes the attitude of a hand at rest.

neoprema

Executive Member
Well to be fair they were pretty basic and you could use any hand :). But I'm a lefty and use my mouse right handed.
Living in a right hand world :)
b1bcbd4d-43d0-474f-bbb3-c28a1a8b1c14_text.gif

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Same. Can’t use a mouse or trackpad with my left hand to save my life.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
To be honest I stopped using the mouse/trackpad left handed because keyboard shortcuts are a nightmare with the right hand.

At one stage had trackpad one side and mouse the other and that worked well but then with some tasks I’d want to flip them around so eventually just stuck to the trackpad.

You’ll probably find a trackpad is easier to switch to the other hand.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Also Lefties Unite!

I am not at all surprised by some of the names coming up.

scudsucker

Executive Member
I started getting symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand ( I am right handed ) and switched mouse to the left for about a year. It took me about a week to do. I don't think it is much different from transferring a skill you know, eg driving on the left, to a skill you know but is a bit strange, eg, driving on the right in Europe.

I hated the keyboard shortcuts though, I find it hard to do with my right hand what my left instinctively does.

DeonH

Ok, thanks for your help. Let's say I am going to learn as a 50-year old to use my right hand ... which mouse? Ball or no ball? Any specific model? I'm leaning towards angle/vertical mouse.

creeper

Executive Member

Unless you have a very strong left dominance, the right hand can be practiced to do this. It is one of the unfortunate 'discriminations' (said tongue in cheek) against left handed people. Even most work docking setups are for right handed people. I had to learn using the mouse right handed (reluctantly). Even though I'm dominant left.

saor

Honorary Master
Ok, thanks for your help. Let's say I am going to learn as a 50-year old to use my right hand ... which mouse? Ball or no ball? Any specific model? I'm leaning towards angle/vertical mouse.
The other option would be to forfeit the ergonomic mouse idea and just use a regular mouse in your left hand.

DeonH

The other option would be to forfeit the ergonomic mouse idea and just use a regular mouse in your left hand.
Thanks. Have been using it since Windows 3.1 but I can feel some pain sometimes when working a few hours straight.