Which of the following statements are racist?

C4Cat

Executive Member
1) Black people have darker skin than white people.
2) Black people generally run faster than white people.
3) White guys are generally better at playing quaterback (in the nfl) than black people.
4) Black people are generally better at Basketball than white people
5) White people are generally more inteligent than black people
All of them except the first one are clearly racist

JimmyRott

Point 3 is wrong, more and more black quarterbacks are appearing
And none of them are winning superbowls. They have the athletic ability to add another facet to offenses. But to date none off those offenses have been able to consistwntly win against the invariably great defenses they en up against in the playoffs.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Why? Do you believe white people and black people generally run at the same speed? Or are there certain things that are true but can not be said because they are racist?
I don't see any evidence that skin colour has anything to do with running speed in the general population.

Techne

Executive Member
You think Olympic athletes represent the general population and their achievements are representative of all others who happen to have the same skin colour?
The stereotype is based on these types of events.

And the answer to the OP is no to all. Only once people start to negatively discrminate based on these facts or stereotypes then it becomes racist.

EADC

Expert Member
And none of them are winning superbowls. They have the athletic ability to add another facet to offenses. But to date none off those offenses have been able to consistwntly win against the invariably great defenses they en up against in the playoffs.
Tell that to Russell Wilson.

Bobbin

Executive Member
None of the statements are racist in my view but some may need substantiation or to be worded better - this doesn't say whether they are correct or not. For example, just because the fastest sprinters come from Jamaica and the fastest marathon runners come from Ethiopia and Kenya does not constitute a big enough sample of the average black or white person in my view. So they warrant further debate and study, if anything. Furthermore, black and white are fairly broad categories in and of themselves.

At face value I'd probably regard all of those statements as pretty meaningless except number 1 which is a truism.

It is perhaps better to just be directly honest when stating something... i.e.
According to so and so, the fastest sprinters come from Jamaica and the fastest marathon runners come from Ethiopia and Kenya - and then feel free to extrapolate some thoughts on that, knowing that this part forward merely represents an opinion. If a genetic study has derived markers for this enhanced performance in black people from X sample, then yeah go ahead and cite it. But again perhaps we should all just try be more precise and honest about the extent of our information. If said genetic study only took into account a certain population or country or whatever, state precisely that in return as it may not account for all black people from all over the world. i.e. These genetic markers from these people here [X] are disproportionately X on average.

Better yet, just throw a bunch of average people from multiple nationalities into a blender and ask them to race a short distance and lets see how much money you are willing to bet on the Jamaican :p I guarantee you your confidence would not be enough to risk your life savings.

Last edited:

JimmyRott

I don't have to you said none proved you wrong.
You misinterpreted. My statement in the beginning was clearly that white people are generally better at playing qb. Not that no black qb can ever be good. How does the fact that Russel Wilson won a superbowl disprove that?

EADC

Expert Member
You misinterpreted. My statement in the beginning was clearly that white people are generally better at playing qb. Not that no black qb can ever be good. How does the fact that Russel Wilson won a superbowl disprove that?
Yip shift the goal posts.

Lordpiet

Expert Member
1) Black people have darker skin than white people.
2) Black people generally run faster than white people.
3) White guys are generally better at playing quaterback (in the nfl) than black people.
4) Black people are generally better at Basketball than white people
5) White people are generally more inteligent than black people
3 and 5

Because as soon as you use put the word White in front of a sentence it is seen as racist :crylaugh:

johncgalloway

I'd say it depends on whether or not you can substantiate any of the claims made in your list factually, with plenty of evidence and if you can supply proof that you did so completely without any kind of bias or prejudice.

Also, you would have to somehow adjust for or report about any exterior influences which can result in your proof (pro or against) turning out the way it does. For instance statement 5 you'd have to look back at general levels of education, surroundings and exposure that people had that would slant the result whichever way.

I would however point out that I know of a lot of black people who have to speak more than 3 languages in order to function in whichever society they find themselves, so based on that I would say point 5 is wrong. What I would say is that ignorance (willful or blissful) is rife amongst all the different peoples of the world.