Which of the following statements are racist?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
1) Black people have darker skin than white people.
2) Black people generally run faster than white people.
3) White guys are generally better at playing quaterback (in the nfl) than black people.
4) Black people are generally better at Basketball than white people
5) White people are generally more inteligent than black people
Anything without context and qualifying data can be interpreted either way depending on one's own experiences.

nightjar

Expert Member
I have no idea about no 3 but I would say that the other four are correct.
An inspection of all the wonderful inventions, discoveries and buildings during the last 5000 years would say a lot about the superior intelligence of Egyptians, middle Eastern inhabitants, Asians & Europeans in respect to no 5.
A look at the obsession with EWC and turning SA into another Zimbabwe drives the pint home.

Black people are definitely faster. Any white person denying that would be an idiot.

You just have to look at the top 100 fastest 100m men to see the proof.
I think I might agree if it were better phrased. White people vary in all sorts of performance benchmarks, as do all other people. There are huge overlaps in all qualities I can think of. So a particular white person may well perform worse in a particular field or quality than a particular person of any other colour, even if in general whites outperform others in that particular respect. It is often claimed that white people outperform certain others in IQ tests (and different groups of whites have different average abilities too), but that tells you nothing at all about the IQ performance of the particular person you may be with at that moment in time. Apart from the differences being small anyway, you cannot assume that because you are dealing with a particular person of a particular group you can assume anything about your relative abilities: you might be well substandard within your group, even if your group has a higher average than that of the group of the person you are dealing with.
There are also measurement issues to contend with, but that is a separate issue.
In the case of speed of running, which you make a statement about, it is true apparently that the fastest black runners are black, but it is not true that all blacks are faster than all whites. It may well be the case that the maximum speed of an average black person is faster then that of an average white person - I have not seen any statistics on the point - but in any one particular case the relativity will depend on inherent ability and on the state of training of those involved.
So I reject your statement that "Black people are definitely faster". It is not sufficiently precise. I don't follow athletics, but I would have no difficulty in agreeing that "the fastest runners are black". As to the significance of that observation, it does not particularly matter to me. There are many more significant qualities to worry about. I am much more concerned about the abilities of individuals than of any grouping they may fall into.

Also, there's some data that Ashkenazi Jews have higher IQ's that most other races (regular white people too). It's not racist to point that out, but if Ashkenazi Jews keep on making a point of it - it's gonna get hella irritating. Just like people making any other point about racial differences over and over.
I think you will find that the data you refer to relates to average performances. It would not be true to say that all Ashkenazi Jews have an IQ higher than that of all other people.
I am curious about your use of the word 'regular' in front of the word 'white', and am not sure what you are intending to get across. Are you suggesting that Ashkenazi Jews are whites or that they are not?

Arksun

Expert Member
Any idea why something I posted a few days ago was deleted?

The post was "if something is objectively true, then I can't see how it can be racist".

Is there something wrong with what I said?

saor

Honorary Master
I think you will find that the data you refer to relates to average performances. It would not be true to say that all Ashkenazi Jews have an IQ higher than that of all other people.
I am curious about your use of the word 'regular' in front of the word 'white', and am not sure what you are intending to get across. Are you suggesting that Ashkenazi Jews are whites or that they are not?
Was a while back, not really sure tbh.
Could probably have written it without the word or even without mentioning white people.

Any idea why something I posted a few days ago was deleted?

The post was "if something is objectively true, then I can't see how it can be racist".

Is there something wrong with what I said?
Some things seemed to go adrift during the migration: I had messages about one or two that I could not open, and are not in the relevant threads now I have got in, so I don't imagine anyone was making a point with you. I suppose it is par for the IT course anywhere in the world.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Where does this come from?

'black people lack depth perception'.

Most stupid statement I've ever heard....

Was a while back, not really sure tbh.
Could probably have written it without the word or even without mentioning white people.
I only asked because it seems to be a bone of contention even amongst Jews: I read an article recently by an Ashkenazi lady who was quite vociferous in her assertion that she was not white. I don't see quite why it mattered so much to her. Like the rest of us, Jews seem to come in all shades. Who cares?
My father went to India during WW II. He left as very fair haired and fair skinned, despite being an outdoors type of person. (He had some German ancestry.) He came back dark haired and heavily tanned, and stayed the same until he died over 50 years later. So categorisation by skin colour seems to have an uncertain basis.
I get hacked off by people inventing 'exclusive' groups to belong to, almost always claiming that 'their' group is better than other groups. I know that some think that being competitive is a good thing, particularly in the sporting context: Margaret Thatcher was one such. I think they are a bit of a nuisance, sometimes even a bit of a menace. I don't go to work to compete with my colleagues, and those that do irritate me.

ekske1

Expert Member
3) White guys are generally better at playing quaterback (in the nfl) than black people.
6) Darker penises are bigger than lighter penises[, but the brightest performs better]

You seemed to have missed one?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
6) Darker penises are bigger than lighter penises[, but the brightest performs better]

You seemed to have missed one?
Didn't know penile colour has any stimulating properties. I'll pass this info to the lads with albinism.

Anti-Chris

According to the definition of "Racist" statements 2 - 5 can be considered racist.

saor

Honorary Master
Education has nothing to do with intelligence.
You don't think the particular yardsticks we use to measure intelligence (IQ tests) do depend on education? Who do you think is more likely to nail an IQ test: A kid getting decent education or a kid getting a poor / no education?