Which of the following statements are racist?

saor

Honorary Master
Education has nothing to do with intelligence.
You don't think the particular yardsticks we use to measure intelligence (IQ tests) do depend on education? Who do you think is more likely to nail an IQ test: A kid getting decent education or a kid getting a poor / no education?

Sweevo

Honorary Master
1) Black people have darker skin than white people.
2) Black people generally run faster than white people.
3) White guys are generally better at playing quaterback (in the nfl) than black people.
4) Black people are generally better at Basketball than white people
5) White people are generally more inteligent than black people
Not racist, just not tested and proven AFAIK.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
None.
Though whether they're correct is a different story.

Without looking at the data I'd hazard to say that black people beat yo ass at basketball because of their genetics, while white people being more intelligent is very likely a product of more white people attending better places of education than black people (traditionally) have.
Based on what?

saor

Honorary Master
White people (USA, SA etc.) have generally had better access to education by virtue of their historically oppressive views on people of other races. If you had to measure the IQ of all black and all white in SA the lopsided difference you might see would likely be a result of the education disparity rather than some genetic difference. Just an observation, not based on anything.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
One Definition of racism

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
"theories of racism"

Sweevo

Honorary Master
White people (USA, SA etc.) have generally had better access to education by virtue of their historically oppressive views on people of other races. If you had to measure the IQ of all black and all white in SA the lopsided difference you might see would likely be a result of the education disparity rather than some genetic difference. Just an observation, not based on anything.
None of that has anything to do with basketball.
And whites have had no more or less historically oppressive views than any other skin color.

Unless you considered idi Amin or Genghis khan to be white.

saor

Honorary Master
None of that has anything to do with basketball.
I can't know what you're referring to when you quote my whole post and just ask 'based on what'. What's your question?
And whites have had no more or less historically oppressive views than any other skin color.
Sure, but I was talking about differences in education as measured by IQ tests. I'm not making a claim about the nature of white oppressiveness, I'm merely saying that in those countries where such differences in IQ occur (if they do), it's possibly the result of a difference in education brought about by the privileged position white people have had due to their oppression of other races.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
I can't know what you're referring to when you quote my whole post and just ask 'based on what'. What's your question?
what was your post based on
Sure, but I was talking about differences in education as measured by IQ tests. I'm not making a claim about the nature of white oppressiveness, I'm merely saying that in those countries where such differences in IQ occur (if they do), it's possible the result of a difference in education.
Sure, yet we can’t measure intelligence despite our assumed intelligence. IMO it’s unintelligent to assume intelligence.

JimmyRott

You got it a little backwards there. They had access to education because they spent hundreds of years building and enshrining educational institutions as an integral part of their culture. Education is what enabled them to invade Africa (not a result of something they found here....).

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You got it a little backwards there. They had access to education because they spent hundreds of years building and enshrining educational institutions as an integral part of their culture. Education is what enabled them to invade Africa (not a result of something they found here....).
In your quest to advance that narrative, you failed to see his point. He doesn't dispute the fact that Europeans have had centuries of institutionalised education (a separate topic on its own). Read his post again.

JimmyRott

In your quest to advance that narrative, you failed to see his point. He doesn't dispute the fact that Europeans have had centuries of institutionalised education (a separate topic on its own). Read his post again.
I did read his post again and even bolded the appropriate sentence in my original reply. Do you understand what "by virtue of" means?

saor

Honorary Master
What about black people in America and specifically SA in the last 150 years - they've had equal access to education and jobs to afford that education?

JimmyRott

What about black people in America and specifically SA in the last 150 years - they've had equal access to education and jobs to afford that education?
No they did not. The reason for the discrepancy however is definitely not... "by virtue of their historically oppressive views on people of other races" as you initially claimed. That's all I was trying to point out.

You don't think the particular yardsticks we use to measure intelligence (IQ tests) do depend on education? Who do you think is more likely to nail an IQ test: A kid getting decent education or a kid getting a poor / no education?
In the case of the Stanford Binet tests, work has been done to show that a smallish number of practices gives an improved score, after which it makes no difference. I can't remember the number but it was something like 10. That arguably rules out the idea that a high IQ depends on a high quality education.

Techne

Executive Member
Well, you could argue that educational oppression of non-Europeans started in the 12th century when those dastardly Scholastics made universities popular.